turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pool7900

How do I put a debit card on my account to get my taxes loaded on there

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

You do that in the FILE section when you are ready to file your tax return.  You cannot change how to receive your refund after you filed.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

When you file a tax return is when you enter the bank routing and account number for the direct deposit of a tax refund.

If you have filed a 2019 tax return the method of receiving any tax refund cannot be changed.  If the bank routing or account number is incorrect for the direct deposit the deposit will be refused by the bank and returned to the IRS.  The IRS will then mail a refund check to the address entered on the tax return.

If you already have your own debit card then choose the direct deposit option in the FILE tab and enter the routing and account number for the card just like you would any other bank account. 

If you don't have a debit card already then buy a pre paid card for $5 at almost any store to use   OR  choose to pay the TT fees with the federal refund (when efiling opens in January  for the 2020 returns) for an extra $45 fee to get a new Turbo debit card. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies