turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I manually enter prior year's tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

If you do not have an electronic version of last years tax, you COULD use TurboTax 2018, enter the prior year's data, and then continue to transfer to TurboTax 2019. You would need to purchase and use the desktop version of TurboTax to mock-up the 2018 tax year return. Click Paper file and mail for the mock 2018 tax year return. Next transfer it to TurboTax Online if desired or continue with the desktop software. 

PLEASE CLICK HERE to purchase TurboTax 2018

PLEASE CLICK HERE for TurboTax help transferring tax files

If you mean last year's tax REFUND, only the state refund is entered, not the federal refund. 

TO ENTER THE STATE REFUND:

Type   1099-g   into the search box

Click the “Jump to 1099-G link”

OR

Go into your return,

Click on the FEDERAL  (PERSONAL in TurboTax Home & Business)

Click on WAGES & INCOME

Click on "jump to full list" or “I’ll choose what I work on” if necessary

Scroll down to “Other Common Income”

Click on "show more"

Scroll down to “State and Local Tax Refunds on Form 1099-G” 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I need clarification on this answer. I need to enter my 2018 tax return so the loss from last year carries forward into my 2019 tax return. Will I need to purchase both 2018 and 2019 versions of Turbotax? Also the answer mentioned purchasing a desktop version of 2018. What is a desktop version? I only have a laptop. Will this work? - Thank you, Kim

All you need to do is enter the loss in the 2019 program when you complete that section ... you do NOT need to enter in the entire 2018 return for one simple carryover entry ... waste of time and money. 

And FYI  Laptop is the same as Desktop except one can sit on your lap since it is one unit and the other is several pieces which sits on a desk.  

@khenry_2006 wrote:

I need clarification on this answer. I need to enter my 2018 tax return so the loss from last year carries forward into my 2019 tax return. Will I need to purchase both 2018 and 2019 versions of Turbotax? Also the answer mentioned purchasing a desktop version of 2018. What is a desktop version? I only have a laptop. Will this work? - Thank you, Kim

Yes, you will need to purchase both the 2018 and 2019 TurboTax program.  Each tax year is a separate program.

Desktop just means a personal computer, not a mobile device.  The 2018 software can be installed on a laptop computer.

Use these TurboTax support FAQ's for the minimum system requirements for either a Windows or Mac computer -

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/system-requirements/help/minimum-system-requirements-for-turbotax-...

To complete a 2018 tax return using TurboTax you will need to purchase, download and install on a personal computer one of the 2018 desktop editions from this website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

A 2018 tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.

Go to this TurboTax website for the 2019 desktop CD/Download editions - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

A 2019 tax return can either be e-filed or printed and mailed.

The Desktop program is the CD or Download program you buy and install on any kind of Windows or Mac computer.  Verses the Online web version you use a browser to log into an account and do it all online.  Desktop and Online are separate and are priced differently and do not sync or update each other.  And the Desktop program has several advantages over the Online version.

Do you have an investment carryover loss from 2018?

Enter a Capital Loss Carryover under

Federal Taxes or Personal (Home & Business)

Wages and Income

Then scroll down to Investment Income

Capital Loss Carryovers - Click the Start or Update button

Do you know the carryover amount from 2018?  Or do you still need to prepare and file a 2018 return?

I closed a business in 2018 and had a loss and complicated return, so I had my accountant file my 2018 Federal return for me. The return was filed in early February 2019 and I had a small refund check. My 2019 return will be simple (two schedule Cs), no investment gains or losses, nothing else out of the ordinary, and the only thing I am unsure how to handle is how to carry forward the loss. - Prior to 2018, I had always done my own tax return with TurboTax.

cptt21
Returning Member

I have a PDF of my 2019 taxes but your system will not allow me to import it.

Ideally, I would like to enter the information manually without buying TurboTax 2019 as I don't see the need for that provided the 2020 desktop premier version will allow me to enter any and all carry forward information on the 2020 return from the 2019 return. 

How can I enter carry forward info?

Thanks.

Did you use Turbo Tax for 2019?  Sounds like you didn't.  If you can't import the prior year carry over amounts you can manually enter them into 2020 in each section. What is it for?

Enter a Capital Loss Carryover under

Federal Taxes or Personal (Home & Business)

Wages and Income

Then scroll down to Investment Income

Capital Loss Carryovers - Click the Start or Update button

And Why would you think you have to buy the 2019 program?  

cptt21
Returning Member

1. Other than Capital Loss Carryover, are there other carryovers

numbers I need to enter re: ATM, etc..? How do I enter them ?

2. I can't figure out how to enter the taxable portion of an IRA to Roth conversion. The program has the 1099R amount but that amount includes non deductible contributions which are not taxable. I have the formula but also was expecting the program to prompt me with questions to calculate the taxable amount of the conversion.

Thanks. 

@dmertz  can you help on non deductible conversions?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies