turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

djmalone01
Returning Member

How do I check on an itemized deduction amount if I have already filed my return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

How do I check on an itemized deduction amount if I have already filed my return?

Print the return and all forms and worksheets and view Schedule A.  You should have printed a paper copy prior to filing anyway as TurboTax instructs.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
djmalone01
Returning Member

Sadly, the item is not  on Schedule A as a specific line item, it is included in the Medical Section so I am unable to see it on the tax return.

@djmalone01 wrote:

Sadly, the item is not  on Schedule A as a specific line item, it is included in the Medical Section so I am unable to see it on the tax return.

Your total medical expenses are schedule A line 1 and the individual expenses that make the line 1 total are on the Medical Expenses Worksheet.

If Schedule A did not print with your tax return then you did not have enough itemized deductions to itemize and used the standard deduction instead.  The 1040 line 9 will tell you which deduction you took.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
djmalone01
Returning Member

Actually, since the medical expenses for insurance etc are a lump sum; looking at Sch A was of no value.  I had to have a session with on-line Chat and an expert.  it was quite lengthy and he was not getting the correct assistance from the Agent working with him.  

He finally figured it out, in the left nav bar choose the home screen and then choose "Add State".  That is not really what you are doing but that is the ONLY way to see your itemized entries if you have already filed your return.  Then, you choose your deductions and credits at the top of the page and it takes you to the interview screen where you can see what you entered.  

The end result - the person who helped me answered my question and we found what was needed but.....it took quite a long time and the need to look for line item deductions and credits should not be that difficult once you have filed your return.  Ultimately, I needed to file an Amended Return which is what I completed this morning after I was able to view the amount entered - it was incorrect.  

IF TurboTax had a pdf or other viewable data entry document for the tax filer, that would be of tremendous benefit.  It would save a LOT of time and aggravation on the part of the tax filer and the individual trying to assist.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies