Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I amend?

I am on SSDI.  My daughter due to Covid didn't make more than half my income 2020. So when I filed my taxes I got confused and in  the recovery rebate worksheet I put what my daughter got, the $1200 and the $600 with a zero balance on line 30. My daughter hasn't filed her 2020 yet. On march 17 she received $2800. A couple days  later I received $1400. I know it was my return. But I do deserve a stimulus as she didn't  make enough this year to claim me. Since she hasn't filed her 2020 yet, how do I correct this? I knew it was a mistake as soon as I filed but I couldn't amend in TT until the 25th so I want to get this right.

I don't know why I filed this way chalk it up to Covid brain. I have been on SSDI for many years and never needed to file.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

How do I amend?

If you are saying that your daughter no longer is eligible to claim you as a dependent, and that you personally did not receive the first and second stimulus then you should amend your return tor correct the Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) worksheet. This will allow you to change the amounts that you received to zero.

Follow the instructions at this links to amend your return, read them completely before your begin. Once you begin the amendment, then you can use the steps below to correct your RRC.

In TurboTax Online, to claim the Recovery Rebate credit please do the following:

1. Sign into your account and continue from where you left off
  2. Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Federal Review on the top of the screen
  3. On the next page titled Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click on Continue
  4. Follow the interview (watch the questions so you can correct the amounts)
  5. TurboTax will determine whether you are entitled to any additional stimulus
  6. Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of your form 1040.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

How do I amend?

If you are saying that your daughter no longer is eligible to claim you as a dependent, and that you personally did not receive the first and second stimulus then you should amend your return tor correct the Recovery Rebate Credit (RRC) worksheet. This will allow you to change the amounts that you received to zero.

Follow the instructions at this links to amend your return, read them completely before your begin. Once you begin the amendment, then you can use the steps below to correct your RRC.

In TurboTax Online, to claim the Recovery Rebate credit please do the following:

1. Sign into your account and continue from where you left off
  2. Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Federal Review on the top of the screen
  3. On the next page titled Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click on Continue
  4. Follow the interview (watch the questions so you can correct the amounts)
  5. TurboTax will determine whether you are entitled to any additional stimulus
  6. Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of your form 1040.

timbonbabs
Returning Member

How do I amend?

I saw an error on my federal form. i filed "Single" in error. I am a surviving widow and have been for 11 years. now that I have seen a printing of my error I see that my refund amt is wrong. In past years I have received between 1400 amd $1600 each year.Once this is amended I'll be able to file my Michigan tax form show Mi I owe no taxes because of my retirement pay as a Mi retiree.

jb154

How do I amend?

I need to cancel my stimulus credit. I did receive the payment in march 2021 and I have a credit for the same amount on my tax return. 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

How do I amend?

No need to amend, in fact you can't until your original return has processed. 

The IRS will adjust your return, they have the payment amounts on record. 

The processing on your return may be delayed because of the error. 

If you will now OWE a tax payment, make that payment before the deadline of April 18th, 2022. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies