turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I add a form ? I need to amend my return adding 8915-b

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
DonnaLO
Expert Alumni

If you have already filed the return, you will not be able to make changes to it.  You may have to amend it.  Do not amend until you have determined if the IRS accepted or rejected the return.  If accepted wait until either you have received your refund or any payment you have made to the IRS has cleared.  If rejected you may go ahead and make the needed changes (do not amend).  

Do I need to amend?

How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return?

If you have not filed your return, you can make changes:

From the Overview page

Click on My TurboTax

My Tax Timeline

In the Some things you can do area

Select Add a state

This will let you back into your Return to complete and File it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have filed and already have my refund but I need to amend it. Just need to know how to add the form on TurboTax so I can amend my taxes. 

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

In order to file an amended return, make sure that your 2019 return was accepted in TurboTax Online or paper-filed through the mail by the IRS.

To prepare an amended return through TurboTax, follow these steps:

1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. Scroll down to Your tax return & documents (you may need to select Show), select 2019 and then Amend (change) return.
  3. Select Amend using TurboTax Online.
  4. Carefully follow the instructions. Don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal on amended returns.
  5. When finished, we'll give you instructions for printing and mailing your amended return as amendments can't be e-filed.

I have not filed my return yet. How do I add form 8915 to my return to show the IRS that my 401k withdrawal was a qualified Covid related withdrawal? I took out 20k from my 401k and I either want to file 33%  of it over the next three years or pay it all back but I need to include 8915 in my return and I don't see any way to do that. very frustrated we are on March 3rd and still nothing about this. 

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

@rashad530, When you enter your Form 1099-R, we’ll ask you a few questions to determine your eligibility for the exemption, and complete and include Form 8915-E in your return if you qualify. The following FAQ provides further details: IRS Form 8915-E.

This is not the case as of right now on TurboTax. When I was asked the questions after submitting my 1099R I selected that this was a qualified coronavirus distribution and when I click next it tells me that TurboTax has not received enough information yet from the IRS to post the appropriate forms. But I was told that you are updating the system within a couple of hours but as of right now you cannot do it and it is very frustrating.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

At this point and time the Form 8915-E (Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments (Use for Coronavirus-Related Distributions)) is not finalized. We currently do not have an estimated date when the form is ready.

Please sign-up here and we will email you once the form is live

The CARES Act provides tax relief for up to $100,000 of COVID-19 related distributions from eligible retirement plans. So, if you, your spouse, your dependent, or a member of your household was impacted by the coronavirus and you withdrew from your retirement accounts in 2020 before the age of 59 ½, you may not have to pay the 10% early withdrawal penalty (or the 25% additional tax for SIMPLE IRAs).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies