turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HOW CAN I FIND OUT HOW MANY E-FILES DO I HAVE LEFT?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When you use Online TurboTax, you get one return per fee.  Each return needs its own account and user ID.   If you use the same account and user ID for a second return, you overwrite the first one and lose it forever.

When you use Desktop TurboTax, which you install from a CD or download to your own hard drive, you can prepare and e-file multiple returns for the cost of the software.  You can e-file up to 5 Federal returns—more if you mail the additional ones.  If you have multiple returns to prepare for family members, Desktop is more cost effective.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

22 Replies

When you use Online TurboTax, you get one return per fee.  Each return needs its own account and user ID.   If you use the same account and user ID for a second return, you overwrite the first one and lose it forever.

When you use Desktop TurboTax, which you install from a CD or download to your own hard drive, you can prepare and e-file multiple returns for the cost of the software.  You can e-file up to 5 Federal returns—more if you mail the additional ones.  If you have multiple returns to prepare for family members, Desktop is more cost effective.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You did not answer the question.  The question is "how can you see how many federal e-files are left on my desktop without prior knowedge of how many e-files were already done?"

Guess I assumed someone who could prepare a tax return could also count backwards from five and figure it out.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the below FAQ for additional information concerning the amount of e-files that can be completed:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/e-file/help/how-many-times-can-i-e-file-using-the-turbotax-cd-down...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I guess you could start the program and go to File-Open and see how many returns are listed in the box.  They might say completed or filed or have a check mark on them if they were efiled.  Or you could open each one and check the efile history.

To check the filing status,

In the Desktop program open your return and go up to menu item

File > Electronic Filing > Check Electronic Filing Status

The question is making me wonder if the user is not the one who originally purchased the software, so he has no idea how many returns were e-filed....???

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

Please click the link below to contact TurboTax customer service:

What is the TurboTax phone number?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Shrike41

Not if some are filed by mail. And not all returns are filed at one time. This is a fair question and your answer is trite but not useful.

@Shrike41 Not sure whose answer you found to be trite but not useful, since there are quite a few users who have posted to this thread that is over a year old.  

The deal is this--if you use desktop  (CD/download) software you can e-file up to five federal returns.  If you have more than five, the extra ones can only be filed by mail.   The five federal e-files is an IRS limit---not a TurboTax limit.

dwest424

This comment is unprofessional and rude.  

Yes, indeed. Very unprofessional and rude. 

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

If you are using the CD/Download version of TurboTax, you can prepare unlimited returns, but only 5 of them can be e-filed.

When you open TurboTax, you will see a list of file names of all the returns that have been prepared on that computer, with the status of each.  [See Screenshot below.]   If you have TurboTax installed on multiple computers, you will have to check the Home screen on each computer.

You can check the e-file status of any of the returns by clicking on this link:  Check your e-file status

Actually in the Desktop program you can not use the efile lookup web page anymore.  You have to look it up in your program and return.  Open your return and go up to FILE - Electronic Filing - Check Electronic Filing Status

Champ is extremely rude, egotistic and should not be allowed to answer on this site.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies