Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Help understanding why TurboTax made me amend my federal return when it was only suppose to be my state to amend for the unemployment tax break 2020

Help on unemployment tax break why did TurboTax make me amend my federal for this when it wasn't suppose to be amended?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Help understanding why TurboTax made me amend my federal return when it was only suppose to be my state to amend for the unemployment tax break 2020

if you haven't e-filed the amended returns yet then select mailing for federal return. since you didn't specify the state there no way for us to know whether the amended one can be e-filed. many states don't accept e-filed amended returns they must be mailed.   the only way to amend the state return for UC is to go through the federal return.  

It's been efiled already n accepted by its. I'm so upset I do not know what to do . Nobody's been able to help me

@suzycole2 wrote:

It's been efiled already n accepted by its. I'm so upset I do not know what to do . Nobody's been able to help me

As pointed out above, the State CANNOT be amended without also amending Federal, but you did not need to file the Federal.

There is nothing to help you with.  No problem, and there is nothing for you to do.     You did not need to file the federal, TurboTax asks you to check the form, Federal and/or state that you want to file , but if you checked both then it did then no harm if it was filed.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

TurboTax says:

you can amend your state without amending your federal return.

You didn't follow the process.

In any case, as macuser_22  said, it's done now and there's nothing to do about it.

IRS will look at your amended return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies