turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Health insurance

I filed and submitted my taxes return last night. This morning I realized that TurboTax did not ask me for my health insurance information while filing. Our family had insurance. Did I do something wrong?!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Health insurance

The question asking if you had health insurance is no longer asked on a tax return.  This is because the individual mandate penalty for not having health care coverage was removed from the tax code after tax year 2018.

View solution in original post

DavidD66
Employee Tax Expert

Health insurance

Unless you received an advance payment for insurance bought through one of the exchanges, you don't need to do anything.  If you did receive an advance payment and didn't complete Form 8962, you will need to file an amended return.  

According to the IRS:

Beginning in tax year 2019, Form 1040 will not have the “full-year health care coverage or exempt” box and Form 8965, Health Coverage Exemptions, will no longer be used. You need not make a shared responsibility payment or file Form 8965, Health Coverage Exemptions, with your tax return if you don’t have minimum essential coverage for part or all of 2019.

You may receive multiple information forms that you can use to complete your tax return and will keep with your tax records.

The information forms are:

If you or your family received advance payments of the premium tax credit through the Health Insurance Marketplace, you must complete Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit with your return.  You will receive Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement, which provides you with information about your health care coverage.  You should wait to file your income tax return until you receive that form.  Use the information from Form 1095-A to complete Form 8962 to reconcile advance payments of the premium tax credit or – if you are eligible – to claim the premium tax credit on your tax return.  Filing your return without reconciling your advance payments will delay your refund and may affect future advance credit payments.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

21 Replies

Health insurance

Do you receive a Form 1095-A for your health insurance from one of the state Marketplace Exchanges?

Health insurance

Our insurance is through my husband’s job so I don’t think so.

Health insurance

Then your health insurance premiums that you paid with out of pocket funds and were not reimbursed plus your other medical expense are entered on a Schedule A as an itemized deduction.  However, with the increase in the Standard Deduction, most taxpayers no longer need to itemize deductions.

The total of all your itemized deductions on Schedule A must be greater than the standard deduction for your filing status to have any tax benefit.

Standard deductions for 2019

• Single - $12,200 add $1,650 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Separately - $12,200 add $1,300 if age 65 or older
  • Married Filing Jointly - $24,400 add $1,300 for each spouse age 65 or older
  • Head of Household - $18,350 add $1,650 if age 65 or older

Health insurance

I guess I’m not understanding. For the past few years I had to answer if we had insurance. I do not want to have a penalty when we did have insurance but was not asked for that information. 

Health insurance

The question asking if you had health insurance is no longer asked on a tax return.  This is because the individual mandate penalty for not having health care coverage was removed from the tax code after tax year 2018.

Health insurance

Thank you! Whew, that’s a relief that I didn’t mess up. I appreciate it. Have a great day

Sweetpea2222
Returning Member

Health insurance

I did receive my form but forgot to put it in.. what should I do? 

DavidD66
Employee Tax Expert

Health insurance

Unless you received an advance payment for insurance bought through one of the exchanges, you don't need to do anything.  If you did receive an advance payment and didn't complete Form 8962, you will need to file an amended return.  

According to the IRS:

Beginning in tax year 2019, Form 1040 will not have the “full-year health care coverage or exempt” box and Form 8965, Health Coverage Exemptions, will no longer be used. You need not make a shared responsibility payment or file Form 8965, Health Coverage Exemptions, with your tax return if you don’t have minimum essential coverage for part or all of 2019.

You may receive multiple information forms that you can use to complete your tax return and will keep with your tax records.

The information forms are:

If you or your family received advance payments of the premium tax credit through the Health Insurance Marketplace, you must complete Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit with your return.  You will receive Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement, which provides you with information about your health care coverage.  You should wait to file your income tax return until you receive that form.  Use the information from Form 1095-A to complete Form 8962 to reconcile advance payments of the premium tax credit or – if you are eligible – to claim the premium tax credit on your tax return.  Filing your return without reconciling your advance payments will delay your refund and may affect future advance credit payments.

Health insurance

Can I add my 1095-c form to my taxes

Health insurance

@Annaleighton wrote:

Can I add my 1095-c form to my taxes

A Form 1095-C is not entered on a tax return

waterweeds
Returning Member

Health insurance

By not asking the question, it doesn't prompt the user to enter information from form 1095-A, and therefore causes this user to have to amend, when the forms to do so are available from turbotax online, sometime in late February. Even when this user has used turbotax for 10 years. 🤷‍♂️

Health insurance

I just had you file my taxes earlier today and I just realized that form 8962 should also have been filed

TCCJJ41
Returning Member

Health insurance

Because I was not asked anything about health ins, I now have to do an amended return because I had insurance through the market place. I had no clue I had to file a form with my return. Until I got a letter from IRS. I filed in Jan and now I have to wait until you get the 2019 amended form in order to send this. Which means I have to wait even longer for my return. You need to fix this!

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

Health insurance

@TCCJJ41 We'll help you create (or correct) the form in TurboTax. please see the TurboTax FAQ below for more information:

The IRS is requesting Form 8962 for 2019

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies