Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Getting 10$ more refund from federal

What should I do, If I am getting 10$ more than expected federal refund. Initially I should get 7848$ but I am getting 7858$ refund. Should I contact to IRS regarding this or they made some changes on my federal taxes? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The IRS will send you a letter explaining what the change was on your return.  The IRS does correct minor mistakes on a return. It can take 3 to 6 weeks to receive.

It could be interest if they held up your refund.  In that case, they will send you a 1099-INT form, which you would claim on your 2023 return (filed in 2024)

View solution in original post

7 Replies

The IRS will send you a letter explaining what the change was on your return.  The IRS does correct minor mistakes on a return. It can take 3 to 6 weeks to receive.

It could be interest if they held up your refund.  In that case, they will send you a 1099-INT form, which you would claim on your 2023 return (filed in 2024)

They might have paid you interest on it.  Then the interest will be taxable next year so keep track of it.  The IRS should send you a letter saying if they changed anything.  Don't know if they send a letter just for interest.  

So basically I should expect some letter from IRS within 3_6 weeks!? If I don't receive then I should contact IRS call center!? But for now I don't need to do anything from my end!? 

I am only worried because in the end If they come up with some audit and charge me compound interests on a daily bases of all the days! 

Just thought of something.  Do you have an amount on 1040 line 38 for an estimated penalty?  They may have reduced that.  I had a penalty once even though I had a refund.  

I don't have any estimated penalty on 1040 line 38. 

@xyzabc   Unfortunately, only the IRS knows what changed. You can call then to see if they can let you know what they changed.

Here's how to get through to a representative:

• Call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 during their support hours
    of 7 AM to 7 PM local time Monday to Friday.
  • Select your language, pressing 1 for English or 2 for Spanish.
  • Press 2 for questions about your personal income taxes.
  • Press 1 for questions about a form already filed or a payment.
  • Press 3 for all other questions.
  • Press 2 for all other questions.
  • Make no entry when queried for the SSN.
  • Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
  • Press 3 for all other questions.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I wouldn't expend any time, effort, or stress over $10. The IRS is not going to audit you for $10, especially since it was their decision to send it to you. Wait and see if you get a letter. And if you don't get a letter, just forget about it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies