turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jonandjon

Friend w/o bank account is getting inheritance. Asking if money could be deposited into my checking. Wondering if a deposit of over 300,000 will flag IRS?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Friend w/o bank account is getting inheritance. Asking if money could be deposited into my checking. Wondering if a deposit of over 300,000 will flag IRS?

Sounds like money laundering, don't do it. 

Anyone can open a bank account so tell your "friend" to open an account and have the "inheritance" deposited into that account.

Ditto.   If your "friend" gets $300,000 there are plenty of  banks who will be very pleased to open a account for your friend.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Friend needs to open their OWN bank account ... with that kind of money any bank should let them open one. 

Once the money is in your account what is going to happen ?   Are you just going to give them it all in cash ?  Movement of large sums of money will trigger bank paperwork and you both need to file gift tax returns.   

Or are you going to dole it out a bit at a time ... what a logistical nightmare and it opens you up to accusations of wrongdoing, theft or fraud.    I highly recommend you do not do this favor for your friend as finances can ruin a friendship fast. 

Sounds like your friend is being scammed or worse ... if you deposit that check your bank account could be at risk.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies