turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 8938 is missing in my federal tax return. How can this be fixed?

Form 8938 is missing in my federal tax return.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Has TT come up with a solution?   Form 8938 keeps on disappearing!

View solution in original post

25 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

To do this in TurboTax and see it on your return, it will depend on how it was entered.

Go to your search and enter 8938 and select the Jump to link in the search results. 

Form 8938 must be completed, but the details must also be reported in the appropriate areas of TurboTax. 

For more information, see: How do I file Form 8938, Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets?

For other foreign account reporting requirements, see:

Comparison of Form 8938 and FBAR Requirements

Do I need to file Form 8938, “Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets”?

How do I file an FBAR report (FinCEN 114)?

Report Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts | FinCEN.gov

2020 Annual Return To Report Transactions With Foreign Trusts and Receipt of Certain Foreign Gifts

2020 Instructions for Form 3520

I could not file because TurboTax does not fill form 8938.

shivat

I am also facing the same issue. I entered multiple foreign financial assets and in the final tax return, I don't see any of them. Clearly turbotax is messing up something. Can somebody help me with this?

Leon14
Returning Member

I have the same issue. Form 8938 is missing. no matter how many times I go back and fill in the information. It's not in the "form deletion" section, it's not there when I try to print it

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Click this link to be sure that you are required to file Form 8938, Statement of Foreign Financial Assets.

This link has general info on Form 8938.

Since we can't see your return in this forum, you may want to consider using TurboTax Live if you can't resolve your issue. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
puzzo
Returning Member

Same issue here - I completed the section with my foreign assets but I don't see Form 8938 on my return.

Moreover, when I click 'Add/Edit 8938' it throws me into Foreign Financial Assets page again but all information I entered before was lost. This is clearly a bug in the software

I am using TT Premier Online 2021.

I need to include Form 8938 in my federal return (It has been annoying to see that several reviewers kep asking whether I need this form or not. I DO). I completed Form 8938, but when I checked on "Other tax situations", TT kept showing "Revisit" next to "Foreign financial assets", and all the info I previously entered was missing (i.e. not saved).

I went to Print Center, and select "Delete a form", and did not find Form 8938 any where.

I previously called TT several days ago and spent a long time over the phone, and the TT rep promised to send an inquiry to TT staff, with copy to me; but no copy of the promised email was received.

The funny thing was a TT tax expert replied, and advised to clear the cache, delete cookies and logout of TT. I reluctantly followed all the steps, and Form 8938 still is missing.

I also went on the internet, and saw many similar complaints from TT users in past years, and in 2020/2021, apparently the best TT could do was to send a CD or download version to the users in need to fix the same problem

Leon14
Returning Member

I was finally able to solve the problem by filing it specifically under the “other tax” tab.

do not search for 8938 and file it. You have to go to the specific tab to do it. 

thanks

puzzo
Returning Member

I assume it's in desktop version - i don't even have Other Tax tab online

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

@puzzo

Form 8938 Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets is available in both the desktop and online TurboTax products under the Other Tax Situations tab which is found in the Federal section of TurboTax. In that section, you will see Other Tax Forms and then Prepare a report on foreign financial assets.

Leon14
Returning Member

It’s the online version, at the very top you should be a few tabs. To the far right there is “other tax”

Hi Thomas,

The title of my posting ("Form 8938 is missing" is misleading and incorrect, and should read "TT Premier 2021 Online does not save Form 8938 in my return") 

As described in the text of my posting, the problem I encountered is that TT did not save Form 8938 after I input all relevant data.

Once I log in again to check on my return (which at this time is not ready to be submitted because Form 1116 is not available on TT yet), I cannot find Form 8938, which is bizarre since TT is supposed to have saved all data previously input.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

@hosituandung

It may be that the form is not showing in your list of forms, but if you use the Open Form option above the list of forms, and type in 8938 the form will come up and it will be populated.

I'm hitting the same issue as well. Was just on the line for 1 hour with a representative that wasn't able to solve this. They say it's an opened issue and they are investigating this.
But as of now I'm blocked. 
Even if I go through Other Tax Situations and fill it from there, the form doesn't appear in my 1040.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies