turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 8453 & Form 8949

Dear Tax and TurboTax Experts,

I used TT Premier Windows version to complete and e-file my 2022 Federal and State returns. TT did NOT warn me ANYTHING about postal mailing before, during or after the transmittal, and my Federal return is already Accepted.

In all my previous years of filing returns, I never cared about Filing Instructions. This year, I had an unfamiliar situation so, simply out of curiosity, I clicked on View --> Forms.

After browsing most of the forms, which I do no understand, I clicked on Filing Inst (Page 1 of 2 and Page 2 of 2).

To my total surprise, I saw instructions that I must mail Form 8453 and Form 8949. I have NO clue if and when I completed a Form 8453 or Form 8949.

Since TT did NOT stop me from e-filing or alert me of the postal mailing, is it REALLY necessary to spend the extra time, trouble and money to mail the forms to IRS? If yes,

1. why I must mail Form 8949?

2. why TT's e-file did not automatically include Form 8949?

3. why TT never alerted me in any obvious way, shape or form to make the postal mailing?

(ie I would have never noticed the Filing Instructions if I did not bother to View Forms AFTER the e-filing.)

Thank you very much!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Form 8453 & Form 8949

The Form 8949 is for the sale of stocks etc.- most likely from a 1099-B.    

If you're e-filing, you only need to mail the IRS a copy of your 8949 (along with Form 8453) if you entered sales section totals for one or more sales categories (instead of each individual sale) and one of the following is true:

• The sales category for one or more summaries is something other than box A (short-term covered) or box D (long-term covered), or
  • The box A or box D summary includes adjustments (typically listed in boxes 1f or 1g on your broker statement)

See Do I need to fill out or mail in Form 8949? - TurboTax Support

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Form 8453 & Form 8949

Thank you, MaryK4, for your prompt and expert advice.

But I am still puzzled why:

1. TT did not include Form 8949 in the e-file,

2. TT did NOT alert me in any way that I had forms to be mailed to the IRS after my return is accepted.

Thanks again!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies