Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Torbet

Filed student son tax seperate, forgot check box claim his as dependent in my return. His return accepted. my return reject as he is the primary in another tax. Help!

plan to amend his retrun but only manual option. I still cannot e-file my return and NY state is only e-file. if i remove him in my return, i lose lot of credit. not sure what to do?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Filed student son tax seperate, forgot check box claim his as dependent in my return. His return accepted. my return reject as he is the primary in another tax. Help!

Sorry but the only way you can file now is by mail.   You can mail your NY return too.  Even if you amend your child's return, the system will not catch up in order for you to e-file this year.   Print, sign and mail your return that claims your child.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

New York prefers e-filed returns, but there are certain circumstances that make it necessary for you to file your NY return by mail and the state DOES allow mailed returns.    If you could not or did not e-file your federal return then your NY return cannot be e-filed.   It has to be mailed.   It is not possible to e-file any state return if the federal return was not e-filed and accepted by the IRS.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/efile/efile_mandate_for_individuals.htm

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/return_assembly_mail.htm

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/returns-and-forms/help/when-would-i-have-to-file-returns-in-more-t...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Torbet

thanks for the quick response. Can i remove my son as dependent in my return and e-file now? then I amend both his return and my return to get the corrected returns and refunds and mail them. Is that an option?

Yes----that is an option.   But bear in mind that if you do that and have to amend your own return to claim your son later, amended returns take months---months---to be processed.  So you will be in for a very long wait.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

"Is that an option?"

It is an option but not a good one.

not recommended.

@Torbet 

Torbet

Sorry! one more question. if i go that option, refunds associated with the e-file will be processed as normal, right? only the additional refunds associated with amendment will take longer, is that correct? any idea as how soon i need to file the amendment? Can i wait for refunds to come through and then send the amendment? only reason I'm asking is i had to print a lot of pages for the return and attach many 1099 which is one of primary reasons I choose to e-file. apprecaite your help.

You say you need to amend your child's return.  You can expect your child's amended return to take 6 - 9 months  to be processed;   if you are going to file your own return without your son as a dependent, first you wait for that return to be processed, then amend your own. to claim your child------expect your own amended return to take six to nine months to be processed.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Yes, wait until you receive your Refunds to prepare Amended Returns.  As mentioned, they are processed separately and can take up to 12 weeks to process (per IRS currently).

Be sure to save copies of your originally filed returns.  You have up to three years to amend a return.

Here's more info on Amending 2022 Returns.

@Torbet 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies