Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Filed over 2 months ago and still no refund?

Well I hope everyone here hears something sooner then Mooooorrrreeee longer! Cause we need our refund! Smh

Thus is crazy after March were still waiting! An nobody to talk to to figure what's going on! Is crazy an scary that they can hold your money like that cause of there mishaps 

Evajxo

Same been waiting for almost 2 months. It’s ridiculous 

AnFam4

Same here, filed end of March and still says processing. I had a friend file 2 weeks ago and she received her refund. She’s self employed,

has one dependent and husband collected unemployment. Not much different than me. I don’t understand.

ee-ea
Level 15

All you can do now is, wait. At least you know that the IRS has your filing. It does not matter who sent your 1040 to the IRS. The IRS is the sole destination for tax returns. No one has discovered a way to make the IRS speed up sending out refunds. No one ever will because the IRS is an overwhelmed, over worked, under funded and under staffed government bureaucracy. Eventually you will get the pay off of your no interest loan to the government.

Have you thought of paying just enough by estimates or withholding to avoid a penalty and let the government wait for your check?

My return was accepted April 5, 2021 and IRS tells me in an auto recording it is still being processed. NO completion date given. At least it is not lost--HA HA or is it? It is a fairly simple joint return.  And I would really like my REFUND!  I understand they have been swamped. Virginia deposited my return in about 2 weeks.

Yes, I am still waiting for my refund!  Filed 3/22/21 and still "processing" and no refund to my account!!!!!!!!  

LOL i just received a letter stating that I'll be receiving the "Child Tax Credit" but, where's my refund hahaha lordd

I filed April 12th and nothing yet

Everybody’s situation is different.. While we typically estimate withholding and have done a great job of it (one year getting a $8 fed/$4 state refund), this year changed things up for me..

I worked overseas in 2019-2020 and I came back to the states in May 2020, mainly because of COVID precautions, and the IRS provided an exemption for workers who expected to be abroad for all of 2020 but came home because of COVID fears and gave us the tax-free exemption as if I had worked there all year… So my relatively smallish refund ballooned into a giant refund because I didn’t even know the IRS provided an exemption for workers who left other countries…

And I’m sure that’s a contributing factor to why my refund is going to continue to be held up, even though it’s been over a month since I filed. 

When I saw that letter in the mailbox today, I said “Finally!!” 100% thinking it was a “We need more information” or “You’ve been chosen for audit”.. And I was legitimately happy about either one of those so I would have an update on things but no, same thing, EIC letter.. 

I filed in March and still haven’t received mine either

mkelly2
Returning Member

I filed my taxes and my sister's in March.  I received mine in a little over 2 weeks.  My sister has still not received hers.  The message on the website is that is still in process.  Of all the people I know, no one has taken this long.  

Do you have any suggestions as to how I can check if it is really still being processe

@mkelly2 Millions of people are experiencing delays for their refunds.  You are always going to find someone else whose refund arrived faster, and someone who waited even longer than you.  That is the way it goes. Returns are not processed “first in — first out.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/personalfinance/where-is-my-damn-irs-tax-refund-new-answers-emerge-a...

TurboTax gives you an estimated date for receiving your refund based on a 21 day average from your date of acceptance, but it can take longer.  “21 days”  is not a promise from TurboTax or the IRS.   Many refunds are taking longer during the pandemic.  The IRS is backlogged —-they are still trying to process millions of 2019 returns; they received millions of e-filed on the day they opened for 2020 returns, and now they are burdened with sending out another round of stimulus checks.   

Some delays are resulting from incorrect amounts that folks entered for stimulus checks they received.   Many people have been confused by the recovery rebate credit and completed it incorrectly.  The IRS may delay your refund while they cross-check to see what you received.  Some refunds are delayed because of the tax law changes that went into effect recently.   If your return has unemployment or the premium tax credit on it, that may be delaying it.

First, check your e-file status to see if your return was accepted: 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

Once your federal return has been accepted by the IRS, only the IRS has any control.  TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS. Your ONLY source of information about your refund now is the IRS.

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 34of your 2020 Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

To track your state refund:    

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901548-why-do-some-refunds-take-longer-than-others

If you chose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your federal refund, that will take some extra time, while the third party bank handles the refund processing.

https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2840013-does-accepted-mean-my-refund-is-approved

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2724106-my-return-is-accepted-but-still-not-approved-is-there-a-pr...

From this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

As of May 15, 2021, we had 300,000 individual tax returns received prior to 2021 in the processing pipeline. Including current year returns, as of May 15, 2021, we had 16.4 million unprocessed individual returns in the pipeline. Unprocessed returns include those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
mkelly2
Returning Member

I have used turbo tax for years but this year I have had some problems.

After I filed my brother's taxes he received a text saying that they had been accepted.  He has not been alerted by Turbo Tax that, in fact, his taxes were not accepted.  Consequently, I don't know how to fix the problem.

It has to do with last year his employer did not report the social security wages actually.  They were $14. short so the IRS registers it as deferred.  I received form W2-C but now what?

Thank you.

mkelly2
Returning Member

Thank you.  I understand the backlog problem but how do I know if it is truly "in-process" or if it is never never land?  I've waited 3 months, how long do I wait before investigating and how would I even do that?

Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies