turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rose21

Filed as a dependent, but actually independent

My boyfriend claimed me as a dependent, but I am actually independent. I have already submitted my return and he has submitted his. (We got our money) How do I fix this? I didn't initially want to be claimed, but my boyfriend claimed me and I assumed that it was my parents that had claimed me.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Your BF cannot claim you if you did not live with him the entire year, he paid MORE than  half of your total support for the year, AND your gross income was less then $4,200.   If you are required to file a tax return the  your income is probably above that limit.

He needs to amend and remove you and pay back part of his refund.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Rose21

Will I need to submit anything to change my status to independent?

If you checked the box that you could be a dependent then it might make a difference.

1040 dependent.jpg

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

this is exactly my situation.

I checked that box believing my parents claimed me.

(Was going over the stimulus package and saw dependents weren't eligible so i told them I won't be getting anything because they claimed me.)

which is when they informed me that they were unable to claim me due to age and other things. However, I selected that box, do I need to amend my whole tax return or does that fact that no one claimed me now constitute as me being independent. ( I don't believe it does, just hoping more-so in regards to the stimulus since i have been put out of work due to this pandemic and don't want that little check on that box to prevent me from the package when no one even claimed me)

It depends on several factors if it matters at all.   You can start to amend and see if there is a change.

Amended returns can only be mailed. It is suggested that it be mailed certified with return receipt (or other tracking service) to verify that the IRS receives it.

See this TurboTax FAQ for detailed amend instructions:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

You can check the status of the amended return here, but allow 3 weeks after mailing.

https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies