turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Filed an 8379 and IRS STILL took my money

So this is my 3rd year doing this so I’m not dumb lol....I filed my husband and I’s joint tax papers MARCH 3rd of this year. He has student loan debt and I do not, hence, I filed an 8379 with it (instead of separate as I usually do, thinking it would be “simpler”).... I knew the government shutout would also slow things down for me but I never ever thought it would be THIS bad!!!! Finally, today— SEPTEMBER 13, I received a letter from the IRS. Out of a $1,000+ refund they took out $455 for student loan debt. But still no paper check for the rest!! I am fuming! Most of that money was mine(and I worked my but off for it!) as my husband had severe back problems and only worked a couple months out of the year—earning maybe $200-250. 😡😤 And to add insult to injury they added a second sheet saying “if you are an injured spouse please file form 8379 yada yada”——which I DID!!!!!

Has anyone else had to wait this long?  Any advice?! I don’t know what to do! All of my friends/acquaintances already got their refunds longggggggg ago. Do I re-file an 8379?? (And wait another 6 MONTHS?!)  I checked their “Where’s my refund” website nearly everyday for over 6 MONTHS!!—It always said “still processing”. I almost 99% certain I didn’t make any mistakes and I always double-check everything before mailing. My husband and I both tried calling the IRS multiple times—-but you can’t get a live person on the line!! Sorry for sounding pissed but I am....I’ve tried to be patient but this is so infuriating!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Do you live in a community property state?   If you do, then they will still take what is the community property part of your part of the refund.   (Filing separately in a community property state is even worse because you must allocate income.)

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Community property states:  AZ, CA, ID, LA, NV, NM, TX, WA, WI

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies