Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Estimated Tax

Took my Minimum Required Distribution in April. Paid a large amount of US and state taxes on the withdrawal.  Now discovered I can rollover the funds back into IRA, which I have done.  Do I need to continue paying scheduled Estimated Taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Estimated Tax

When you put it back into the IRA did you replace the withholding with your own extra money?  You still will get credit for the tax withholding taken out.  Then if you are paying the extra 1040ES quarterly estimated payments you can probably reduce them or not pay them.  The 1040ES are optional to pay and the IRS won't be expecting them.  

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Estimated Tax

You had tax withheld or are paying additional estimated tax?

Tax already withheld will be reported on your 1099-R box 4 and will be applied to other tax withholding to offset any 2020 tax or be refunded to you.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Estimated Tax

When you put it back into the IRA did you replace the withholding with your own extra money?  You still will get credit for the tax withholding taken out.  Then if you are paying the extra 1040ES quarterly estimated payments you can probably reduce them or not pay them.  The 1040ES are optional to pay and the IRS won't be expecting them.  

Estimated Tax

Had tax withheld with the MRD withdrawal.

Estimated Tax

Right.  It will be on the 1099R you get at the end of the year.  You will get credit for it on your return which might give you a Refund.  Now when you rolled the RMD back into the IRA did you send back the net amount you got or the full amount including the tax withholding?  If you didn't replace the withholding then the tax withholding will be a distribution and taxable by itself.

Estimated Tax

Rolled over the entire RMD including taxes from a personal account. 

Estimated Tax

As answered above, the tax withheld will be in box 4 on the 2020 1099-R that you will receive.   When entering into TurboTax say that the money was "moved" to another (or same) account and that the box 1 was the amount rolled over.  The box 4 tax will be applied to all other withholding to reduce the total tax owed or increase your refund.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Estimated Tax

Do you still have questions? You just keep saying you had taxes withheld.  You will get that back on your next year's tax return.  What don't you understand?  Please write a longer question.

Estimated Tax

My emailed reply has not been posted yet.

>>This answers my question. Thanks very much for all the replies!!

On Jul 28, 2020, at 14:53, Turbo Community wrote:
 The 1040ES are optional to pay and the IRS won't be expecting them.<<

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies