Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ziggai

Estimated Tax question

I started a new job in the middle of 2019 making significantly more than I did previously. So, for 2019 I had to pay a good bit in tax and turbo tax said I need to make estimated payments in 2020.

Fastforward to this year, and my wife has lost her job due to the pandemic.

I don't expect to have a tax bill like I had last  year.

Do I still need to make the estimated payments?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Estimated Tax question

The estimated payments are optional.  If you expect to owe at least $1000 at tax time next year, they can be a good idea to prevent an underpayment penalty next year.  If you do not want to use the 1040ES forms you do not have to -- or if you want to pay lower estimated amounts you can cross out the printed amount and write in a different amount if you want to.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Estimated Tax question

The estimated payments are optional.  If you expect to owe at least $1000 at tax time next year, they can be a good idea to prevent an underpayment penalty next year.  If you do not want to use the 1040ES forms you do not have to -- or if you want to pay lower estimated amounts you can cross out the printed amount and write in a different amount if you want to.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Ziggai

Estimated Tax question

Thank you. This information is so hard to find. Appreciate your help

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies