Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Error in converting your forms to PDF format

In the section: Print and mail these forms to the government: I am getting and error message: "Your forms can not be printed. Error in converting your forms to PDF format."

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

25 Replies

Be sure you have Adobe Acrobat installed.

Getting the same response on TT Deluxe 2020 version.  

TurboTax Deluxe 2020 - Print Error.jpg

Also note, I have Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (32-bit) installed and updated.  I open & print PDF files all day long!

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Do you get the same message if you try to save to PDF from both this Print/Save Link and from the File menu in the upper-left corner? 

Click this link for more info on Saving Tax Returns that may help you. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
gcw2
Level 2

still a problem in 2022 ... helpdesk unhelpful

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

Can you provide the answer to the question MarilynJoy had posed to another user above please - this way we may appropriately assist @gcw2.

gcw2
Level 2

I e-filed. (Federal and state.) After e-filing, I got the message that even though I had e-filed, I still needed to send in some forms by regular mail. It gave me the option to either save those forms or print those forms. Both options returned the error message that that mysterious file couldn't be converted to pdf format. (BTW, the file name was supposed to be something like ***1040***RequiredForms.pdf) So, I have no clue what forms I have to mail in now,  either to the Feds and/or the state. 

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

You should be able to see which forms need to be mailed when you view your entire return. If you are using the Desktop software, you may need to run an update. I have also provided a help article below that may assist with printing issues. If these suggestions do not resolve your issue, please respond back here and let us know:

Troubleshoot printing issues

gcw2
Level 2

I find it quite remarkable that I have to manually fix a bug that has been - given the messages posted -- in TurboTax (deluxe ! ) for at least 3 years now. Not customer friendly ... . 

AHHH!  I am going crazy.  I am getting the same message in Turbo Tax 2022 Business and HOme. 

error viewing your tax return

Your tax return cannot be converted to PDF format

Please help!

Mary

How did you fix it?

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@mb1031

We are unable to see what version of TurboTax you are using.  However, if you are using the Desktop/Windows software, you may need to run an update

Additionally, please see the printing troubleshooting Help Article here.  

If this does not resolve your experience, please reach out to us directly using the Help Article here.  This ensures you will get to the correct department as quickly as possible.

I had the same issue in TT2022 and I was able to get it resolved. In my case, and maybe in many people's cases too, the problem lies in Microsoft Windows 10 Defender blocking TurboTax from accessing and modifying some folders, which is a protection against ransomware. On a temporary basis (emphasis on temporary), you can disable this feature called Controlled Folder Access, and you should be able to print your forms. Make sure you re-enable it right away.

To do this, use Windows search box at the bottom of the screen and search for Controlled Folder Access. On that page, turn it off (using the slider button). Go back to Turbo Tax and print your forms. Go back to re-enable Controlled Folder Access.

For those who know their way around Windows, you can also just add TurboTax to the list of applications allowed to bypass CFA, but you'd have to do this every year for the new versions.

steheap

I too have this problem in Turbo Tax 2021 Home and Business running in Windows 10. I have already saved the tax return and calculation worksheets in PDF format to my computer so that works. But right after filing the Federal and State returns I got this page saying I had to send in some paperwork. None of the options to create and save a PDF or print a form work - they all fail with this Error in converting your forms to PDF format. I am up to date (it updated today) and have no idea what this form is. There is nothing in the tax return which looks like a form that I need to mail.

One possible answer for me - there is a note that I need to mail copies of a Long Term care premium to West Virginia. Perhaps the system is trying to print that out?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies