Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jkd8591
Returning Member

Electronically filing 1040X.

On may 28, irs allowed electronic filing of 1040x or 2019 amended federal tax return. I need to know exact date I can efile my 1040x. It is not allowing me to efile my 2019 1040X  through turbotax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The IRS on May 28 announced that they will allow e-filing of 1040X forms this summer.  Right now there is no date for when that will start.  Also, the tax software would need to update their software once the IRS gives a date.

he new electronic filing option will provide the IRS with more complete and accurate data in an easily readable format to enable customer service representatives to answer taxpayers' questions. Taxpayers can still use the "Where's My Amended Return?" online tool to check the status of their electronically-filed 1040-X.

When the electronic filing option becomes available, only tax year 2019 Forms 1040 and 1040-SR returns can be amended electronically. In general, taxpayers will still have the option to submit a paper version of the Form 1040-X and should follow the instructions for preparing and submitting the paper form. Additional enhancements are planned for the future.

View solution in original post

39 Replies

The IRS on May 28 announced that they will allow e-filing of 1040X forms this summer.  Right now there is no date for when that will start.  Also, the tax software would need to update their software once the IRS gives a date.

he new electronic filing option will provide the IRS with more complete and accurate data in an easily readable format to enable customer service representatives to answer taxpayers' questions. Taxpayers can still use the "Where's My Amended Return?" online tool to check the status of their electronically-filed 1040-X.

When the electronic filing option becomes available, only tax year 2019 Forms 1040 and 1040-SR returns can be amended electronically. In general, taxpayers will still have the option to submit a paper version of the Form 1040-X and should follow the instructions for preparing and submitting the paper form. Additional enhancements are planned for the future.

Is there a status of when the software will be updated with 1040x electronically filing?

@lingla So far there is no information about when TurboTax will allow e-filing of an amended return.

I just got an email that IRS will officially begin processing efiled 1040X's on August 17.  If turbotax is ready that is another story

@exempt5   Where did that email come from?  The IRS has not announced anything further about e-filing amended returns since the release of the news on May 28:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-announces-form-1040-x-electronic-filing-options-coming-this-summer-...

When the IRS finally allows e-filing, then all the programmers have to get the software ready for that and the IRS puts the software through an approval process.  So if you are expecting to e-file a Form 1040X any time soon, you will actually be waiting quite awhile.  Professional tax software will likely be ready to accommodate e-filing amended returns before any of the "do-it-yourself" software programs will be able to.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/electronic-filing-e-file/amended-returns/amended-returns

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/individual/help/e-filing-form-1040x-amended-individual-retur...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@exempt5

"send my your email address and I will forward the communication"

Please keep your posts in the user forum.  If you want to share a part of the email you received you can put a screen shot here or copy and paste it without any of your personal information.  We would be interested to know who emailed you that e-filing a 1040X is now possible--since it is not.  The IRS does not email anyone.

https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/modernized-e-file-mef-status

1040-x are being accepted in the efile program effective 8/17/20

Interesting....but that does not mean you will be able to amend and e-file a 1040X any time soon using TurboTax.  Sorry.  If you need to amend now, your only way to do it yourself is to print, sign and mail it.  It usually takes the IRS about four months to process an amended return.  Due to the pandemic-related backlog, it is currently taking much longer.  If you amend now, you can expect it to take around six months and be pleasantly surprised if it takes less.

My professional program just put out a notification today saying the IRS will start accepting amended returns on 8/17  and that the program is ready to handle that situation ... will be interesting to see how fast DIY programs get on board.  

There are some restrictions ... here is the email announcement from DRAKE : 

2019 Amended Return E-file Available
Tax year 2019 amended returns can now be electronically filed in Drake Tax 2019. This feature is available in the most recent 1040 program update released on August 6. You can begin sending 2019 amended returns to Drake now, and the IRS will officially begin processing them on August 17.
Important
  • To e-file Form 1040-X, the 2019 tax return must have been e-filed.
  • At present, if the amended return has a balance due, an electronic payment (PMT screen) must be submitted with the e-filed amended return. The option to mail the balance due payment will be available in an upcoming software release.
  • Paper check is the only method for receiving a refund - the IRS does not currently offer direct deposit of refunds for amended returns.
  • EIP (simple) returns that were filed for purposes of receiving a stimulus payment cannot be amended on paper or through e-file using Form 1040-X. To file an actual return after filing an EIP return, you must paper file the completed 1040/1040-SR with the literal "Amended EIP Return" printed at the top of the form. For more information, see KB article 16797: EIP - Amending to File Form 1040 or 1040-SR.

Thanks - the IRS site provided the status information I needed.  I originally looked at the general IRS site for refund status and that site did not include the Amended Return

cfg

Electronically filing 1040X. Using CD/Download Premier I submitted 2019 1040X today  Intuit said the efiling for 2019 closed last October. So much for prior year 1040x.

The 2020 amended returns will not be accepted until 3/25 at the earliest ... so you can either wait and try to efile  OR   print, ink sign and mail in the return.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies