Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

E-File was rejected because of "duplicate" 1099-R forms.

I conquer. I hereby call on Intuit to issue everyone affected by this issue a full refund or in lieu of that a courtesy copy of TurboTax 2021 at the same edition level they purchased for TY 2020.

Even if the issue was with the IRS, which is highly disputed given lack of this issue being discussed on competitor's product forums, Inituit should have worked with the IRS to resolve this issue in a timely manner. The link at https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/electronic-filing/help/why-am-i-getting-a-1099-r-duplicate-rejec[p... says the issue is solved, which is not as a day or so ago when I last tried refiling (without using the penny trick).

Given how much Intuit charges for TurboTax and the amount of time that has passed since this issue was first identified, this is simply unacceptable.

I have worked as a software engineer my entire career, and despite never having looked at the source code for TurboTax, I feel confident I could fix this issue singlehandedly in a day (at most).

I'm disgusted.

sonoflars

I'm having the same issue.  Has this been fixed yet?

I tend to agree that they dropped the ball and never bothered to pick it up.  Pretty crappy customer service. 

Third attempt also failed. I adjusted one up by 1 cent and the other down by 1 cent. Still rejected as "duplicate". I'm trying it again with one rounded down to the nearest whole dollar, and one rounded up. 

Making the two IRAs $1 different allowed it to pass. Neither a 1 cent nor a 2 cent difference worked. Here's to hoping that the IRS has better things to do that chase down a $1 discrepancy that doesn't affect my tax liability...

My federal return was just accepted after I resubmitted it without modification, so perhaps they have now fixed this.

Timeline: 

* Submiited Federal and State returns at ~8pm Eastern on May 4

* Got the 'Duplicate 1099R' email from TurboTax around 9:30pm 

* Reviewed my 1099Rs, but did not modify them. Resubmitted the returns at 12:40am May 5

* Got email saying federal return had been accepted at 1:05am

ki19
Level 1

Agree with posters that Turbo Tax owes us a refund for faulty software.  That this has been going on for 35 days is ridiculous.     Their lack of any real attention to the issue for the first 30 days it was being reported is terrible customer service.    I hated to do the 0.01 option but did it weeks ago, as I felt I had no choice in order to get my taxes submitted in a timely manner, given the ongoing risks of identity fraud.    

Just wondering if you got updates when you went into TT on the 5th??

Or, was this something they did behind the scenes when the files get assembled to transmit to the IRS.

307marv1
Returning Member

Concur with your thoughts. After working this problem for almost 4 days, talked with TT rep last night and they recommended mailing my forms in, as the penny solution didn't work as others had used and also their recommendation. They are refunding my state tax cost but not the entire TT Deluxe program. Have used their product for years, but after almost 2 months they should have had a solution and update. Will think twice before I use again next year.

307marv1
Returning Member

No. Last night, TT rep recommended I mail it in as they have no solution yet. Ironic haven't heard any other products having this problem.

307marv1
Returning Member

Wish I had seen your entry earlier, just mailed mine after talking with TT rep. Tks

307marv1
Returning Member

Didn't see any notifications that they had updated TT or found the pblm and I signed up for their status updates.

I can confirm that simply refiling my return for a 3rd or 4th time (with no modifications) did the trick, so perhaps this issue finally has been corrected.

asubtx
Returning Member

I ran into the same issue discussed in this thread and thanks to the suggestions here after implementing the penny change my Federal return was accepted. But I am now running into a problem with CA state e-file after this and wondering if anybody else is having the same issue and if yes, how did they work around it.

Initially I e-filed Fed & CA state together. CA got accepted and then Fed return got rejected due to duplicate 1099-R. Because of Fed rejection the CA state return then got rejected with REJ001. But now after the penny trick and Fed e-file acceptance, when I try to e-file CA state tax, am getting the error -

"We could not e-file your return for the following reason:
Duplicate Social Security Number: A tax return with the same Social Security number has already been submitted - in other words, it appears you're trying to e-file the same return twice."

Getting mixed responses from TT customer service folks on this error. One says I need to file by paper now, 2 others said this means my original CA e-file is valid which is why duplicate error is being returned and I don't need to do anything.

I am now trying to contact the CA FTB 1-800 number to confirm the status of my return but unsurprisingly have been unable to get through so far. Looking for other ideas here.

Thanks
Ignacious

I was able to file my return successfully today as well without any penny changes or other workarounds. It was accepted by the IRS within 15 minutes. I had previously ran into this error about 2 weeks ago. The latest TT client update I received was from 4/29. I'm not sure if that version included a bug fix, but it looks OK now.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies