Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

E-File was rejected because of "duplicate" 1099-R forms.

We had the exact same situation in that it did not help to change the Payer slightly or make another change except the amount.  After four attempts - I was determined not to change the amount on one of the 1099-Rs even though the withholding was different.  In the end after three tries, it was not accepted until I changed one of the 1099-Rs by adding a penny.  It was accepted in 13 minutes.  It is all about the total amount of the RMD.

Taxcat7720
Returning Member

I gave up. I paid $16 for Taxslayer this afternoon and entered all my information. Within an hour, I received a notice that the IRS excepted my tax return. I’m just glad I didn’t pay a lot of money for the TurboTax. Very disappointed that all of us in this TT community let TurboTax know that there’s a problem and they couldn’t fix the problem within the weeks that we have been letting them know there’s a problem. 

Tboner72

Exactly the same problem which i feel is a Turbotax issue because it has not been a problem in the past

I can't figure out how to ask a new question, so I am asking my question here to a related question.  My federal and state returns are being rejected because they say last year's AGI is not the same number they have.  However, it is the correct number.  Not only is it directly from the form I filed, but if I call the IRS, their system confirms it is the correct number.  What can I do at this point?  The IRS is not taking calls to humans because they are too busy.

Sooz
Level 3

@richardjwaksman I am not an expert but may have some ideas for you to explore.

if you used TurboTax last year and this year, it should have automatically carried forward information from last year that it uses for comparisons. The AGI from last year should have carried forward with it, and would be a “snapshot” of what you filed, which is what the IRS says it has too.

humor me here...try logging on to last year’s TurboTax software and observe if (1) it performs any updates & restarts, and (2) if your refund amount/tax owed amount changes from when you actually filed.

if the amount changes, chances are your AGI was affected as well. You may want to compare numbers from your “new” 2020 1040 form to a copy of what you filed, so you can see what may have changed.

(I had a similar issue with this year’s return - as it turns out there was legislation passed in mid-March that affected the rules. I only learned this because I had already e-filed Federal but had waited to file my state by mail. In the amount of time since I filed Federal and then logged on again to print my state filing copy, all my numbers changed as a result.)

Thank you,  but that does not appear to be the answer.  I manually entered the AGI number in the field (I actually did this three times and it was rejected all three times).  The IRS hotline agrees with the number I entered, so it really seems to be an IRS error by rejecting it, but I cannot reach a human there.  Since the IRS hotline agrees with my number, I don't think that any tax law change is involved.  It really seems to be some systems problem.  If and when I reach the IRS, they may tell me it is a Turbo Tax problem.  Then what?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

E-filing your 2020 tax return: To e-file you will need to enter your AGI from your tax year 2019 tax return.  If your 2019 return has not yet been processed, you may enter $ 0 (zero) as your prior year Adjusted Gross Income. If you used the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here tool last year to register for an Economic Impact Payment, enter “$1” as your prior year AGI

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks, but not really on the point of the problem.  A 2019 return was filed and the IRS confirmed (system, not a human) that the AGI number I entered in Turbo Tax is exactly the same number they have for the 2019 return.  So, their rejection is a mystery and some kind of error.  Unfortunately, I cannot reach a human at the IRS after many attempts.  I suppose it is possible Turbo Tax is causing the problem, although that seems less likely.  I am stuck and just don't know what to do at this point.  My state return is similarly rejected for the same reason.  Any other ideas?  Thanks.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Have you at least tried entering 0 to see if it goes through?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That is amazing.  I entered "0" for my AGI and I just got back that my federal return was accepted.  I am awaiting to hear about the state return.  That is incredible.  How can that possibly work?  They reject the correct number, but accept zero.  What kind of software program is that?  Well, thanks a lot for that strange but successful recommendation.

Same issue here - return rejected - duplicate 1099R - husband and wife with same amounts from same payer.  

Has anyone that submitted info to TT and got a token number got a response that this is fixed or being looked at?

I have the latest updates (release 4/22/2021) and want to retry filing.  It would be nice if TT would communicate what is in the updates they put out!

My state return was accepted also.  So, I am done.  What a relief.  Thanks for that suggestion, which in a million years I never would have thought of.  

Must be some weird bug in the program, and I am happy you knew about it.

ed_b
Returning Member

I submitted my information to TurboTax and got a token number over a week ago.  I have not heard a word back from anyone.

Also, I agree that TurboTax should provide information on what is included in each of their software updates.  If my memory is correct, this detail was available on their website in prior years.

ed_b
Returning Member

To plaz

You totally missed the point I was trying to make.

So your overly detailed response was totally not relevant.

Decided not to wait any longer.  Did the penny hack and resubmitted my returns.   Fed return was accepted within an hour!  Waiting on state to accept.

I plan to continue monitoring these posts.  Hope some one will get a response from TT regarding the status of these issues.

Thanks for all the info shared here.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies