Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Due I owe late payment and can I pay via card instead of mailing it in?

Hello sorry to bother but I went ahead and paid my Federal and State taxes today. I was wondering if there's an issue with paying a card instead of via mail like I stated I would using TurboTax? I assumed since it's all related to my SSN that the payment would count but now I'm not so sure... I choose the last possible date to pay with TurboTax as I didn't have the money at the moment. I also didn't file for an extension as I wasn't aware if we had to since the whole pandemic thing and all the dates being moved back to July 15th. So not sure if that would affect it or require me to pay a late / overdue payment.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If you file and pay your balance due this year by 7/15/2020 then there will be no late filing or late paying penalty applied.   However if you owed more than $1000 then there may be an underpayment penalty ... the TT program would have added an estimated penalty and/or the IRS will bill you for the penalty. 

Gotcha, thank you so much for the reassurance  😀! Got a bit anxious and worried I might be hit with a letter later lol thanks again!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies