turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to submit estimated taxes if I already had extra withholding on my W-4?

Hi, 

I have a regular job (W-4) and I am also working as an independent consultant.

In order to avoid penalties I selected "Extra Witholding" on my regular's job W-4 which I believe covers all the taxes owed on my independent consulting job.

Do I still have to file a Form 1040ES 1?

If yes, did the timeline for the first quarter was also pushed out due to Covid-19?

Thank you and best regards,

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Do I have to submit estimated taxes if I already had extra withholding on my W-4?

No, if you are having extra taxes withheld from your regular W-2 job to cover your self-employment tax obligation, you would not need to make estimated payments too.

To answer your other question though, the first quarter estimated payment due date was changed to July 15, 2020.  The second quarter estimated payment due date has also been extended.  Instead of being due by June 15, 2020, it is now due by July 15, 2020.

[edited 4/13/2020 | 8:10 am PST]

@JR_TT

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

No, if you are having extra taxes withheld from your regular W-2 job to cover your self-employment tax obligation, you would not need to make estimated payments too.

To answer your other question though, the first quarter estimated payment due date was changed to July 15, 2020.  The second quarter estimated payment due date has also been extended.  Instead of being due by June 15, 2020, it is now due by July 15, 2020.

[edited 4/13/2020 | 8:10 am PST]

@JR_TT

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Manage cookies