turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Did not receive adjusted refund amount in CP49 Notice

Hi All,

I had a payment plan in place from 2016 and part of my 2020 refund was used to completely pay this off. I received a CP49 notice stating this. The notice stated what my adjusted refund would be. My issue is I did not receive this amount when I received my refund. I received ~1800 less. I cannot get through to the IRS as they are busy and the line hangs up. Any suggestions? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

You should get a letter from the IRS informing you of the change to your tax return explaining why your refund was less than what it should have been. It usually comes week or so after you get your refund, but it may take longer because of delays this year because of Covid.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

That amount of refund change (1800) seems to indicate your original refund included stimulus payments (1200 and 600) that were added to your tax return on line 30 as a Recovery Rebate Credit. 

If the IRS has a record that you were already paid those amounts then they would have corrected your return to subtract that credit. 

You should get another letter explaining those Recovery Rebate Credit changes.  Here is a link with more information on Recovery Rebate Credit amount changes.  See question G5.

It’s not the stimulus payments. I marked that I had received all my payments. The 1800 amount is approximate and not exact which is what the ~ indicates. Sorry for the confusion! 

ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

You should get a letter from the IRS informing you of the change to your tax return explaining why your refund was less than what it should have been. It usually comes week or so after you get your refund, but it may take longer because of delays this year because of Covid.

Ok cool! Thank you for your insight.

Manage cookies