turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Did I set up auto payment of estimated taxes?

Neither of us work anymore, so no W-2's involved.  What I read, I'm pretty sure was for FIRST quarter of 2022 payments.  At first I thought it was 2nd quarter, but I found that again when I was poking around and it definitely said FIRST payment  (now I'll have to stumble on it again and find out if in fact it was for 2022 and not 2021, but I'm reasonably certain).

Scratch that.  July 2021 last year was probably the tax due date for 2020 returns and maybe the first quarter 2021 estimate.  

I found it:

2020 Extended Due Date of First Estimated Tax Payment
Pursuant to Notice 2020-18PDF, the due date for your first estimated tax payment was automatically postponed from April 15, 2020, to July 15, 2020. Likewise, pursuant to Notice 2020-23, the due date for your second estimated tax payment was automatically postponed from June 15, 2020, to July 15, 2020. Please refer to Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax PDF, for additional information.

So it was for 2020 and they fooled me.  I guess I will just maybe set up a direct payment and double up on one if I can...  Wish me luck 🙂

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You can schedule future federal estimated tax payments using Direct Pay or EFTPS on the IRS web site, but you have to do it yourself. You cannot do it in TurboTax.

The two facilities have different advantages and disadvantages. With Direct Pay you can only schedule two payments in one day. If you want to schedule four payments you have to go back the next day to schedule the additional two payments. With EFTPS you have to enroll before you can schedule any payments.

maglib
Level 11

@mtiede  If you go to FORMS and look at the NYS Information Sheet you will see if you set up estimated taxes to be withdrawn.  It is under part IX on the form.  

You would not have been able to do this federally, you only could have had the taxes paid from your refund. 

"For Federal estimated tax purposes: You may send estimated tax payments with Form 1040-ES by mail, or you can pay online, by phone or from your mobile device using the IRS2Go app

Using the Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS) is the easiest way for individuals as well as businesses to pay federal taxes."

Hope this was helpful.

@SteamTrain  just saw the message. 

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
maglib
Level 11

@xmasbaby0 Yes for NYS and some states you can set them up directly in TT.  I do it for my mom and sister every year.  To confirm, they are set up it is on The information worksheet.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

Yeah, I had a picture of the section of the NY "Information Worksheet"  which showed the TTX section for NY quarterly estimates D.Debit setup (below, but not fully filled out yet)....but I didn't want to get into an involved handwaving discussion on how to get it to print out in the PDF file if the User happened to be using the "Online" software   (Add a state...yadda yadda yadda, print with all woksheets).

I like EFTPS too, but years ago, when I set it up, it took a month or so to get it setup initially, with snail-mailed confirmation PIN sent back to me....not sure what the registration procedure is now though...they might have streamlined it more.

NY_QEst_Efile_1.png

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies