turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Did anyone else receive a letter 4883C - and is finding it impossible to get through to the IRS?

I received the letter in May 2021.  Every time I call I can't even get put on hold due to "extremely high call volume"
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Did anyone else receive a letter 4883C - and is finding it impossible to get through to the IRS?

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-letter-4883c-or-6330c

What happens if I cannot verify?

If we can’t verify your identity over the phone, we will ask you to schedule an appointment and bring the documents listed above to your local IRS office to verify in person.

The problem is NOT that they can't verify my identity over the phone. The problem is that I cannot even get through to a human being on the phone. I am concerned that this is a seemingly impossible task

That is an issue as the IRS is understaffed and overwhelmed with work.   Try just before 7am your time zone.

Yes, I received a letter also 4883C and every time I call no I can’t even talk to no one. and it automatically hangs up.. due to extreme high volume of calls.. so what are you supposed to do?

@802127 wrote:

Yes, I received a letter also 4883C and every time I call no I can’t even talk to no one. and it automatically hangs up.. due to extreme high volume of calls.. so what are you supposed to do?

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 3 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

lilb9

IMPOSSIBLE and INFURIATING

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-letter-4883c-or-6330c

What happens if I can't verify by phone?

We'll ask you to schedule an appointment and bring the documents listed above to your local IRS office to verify in person.

See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1 or call 1-844-545-5640 to set up an appointment

lilb9

I tried this and after 20 minutes on the phone, the IRS agent told me to call the number that hangs up on me.  This is the worst service ever and why would the IRS increase the frequency of these letters and then not be able to support the volume.  It is beyond infuriating.

I did.. what did you do to make an appointment? Can you just walk in to the local IRS office and make an appointment? Or what did you do?

@Vellebby13 You can contact your local IRS office. See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1 or call 1-844-545-5640 to set up an appointment

Quencher

In case a petition helps, try this Change.org petition to get the IRS to ANSWER THE PHONE.

https://chng.it/FdwNqvzWtq

@DoninGA @Vellebby13 @lilb9 @Critter-3 @802127 @revmkschue-129 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies