Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bl0528

Changing Direct Deposit Number for Stimulus Check

I had inputted an incorrect number on my original direct deposit and it was sent to green dot bank to issue me a paper check. With the stimulus check coming from the COVID-19 package recently passed, I want to avoid the same issue of having a paper check sent and waiting weeks for the check. How do I go about correcting the error I made when I originally filed? I have attempted to contact the IRS directly to update my information but the office appears to be close. Is there a solution to do this online via Turbo Tax since you are working with the IRS for those who have yet to file their taxes and working to get their stimulus check? Thanks. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If your return has been accepted, you cannot update or add banking information.  The IRS is going to give taxpayers the chance to enter their own banking information.  See the following:

The IRS does not have my direct deposit information. What can I do?

In the coming weeks, Treasury plans to develop a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online, so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

View solution in original post

26 Replies

If your return has been accepted, you cannot update or add banking information.  The IRS is going to give taxpayers the chance to enter their own banking information.  See the following:

The IRS does not have my direct deposit information. What can I do?

In the coming weeks, Treasury plans to develop a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online, so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

Sadie5699
Returning Member

I need to change my checking account i had to get a new one sense i did my taxes 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

The IRS is launching a new app "Get My Payment" where you can update banking information. 

It should be active around the 17th. 

IRS Get My Payment

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kathrynfruchtman
Returning Member

I recently had trouble with Eastern Bank so I changed my bank and checking account to Citizens I have all the information I just need to know how to change it with you guys because I still have not received my tax returns my name is Kathryn Fruchtman

kathrynfruchtman
Returning Member

I need to change my routing and account number to Citizens Bank and I would like it if somebody could reach me back as soon as possible about this situation I have not received my tax returns for $1,111 and I did receive one stimulus check because of my other bank account was open what do I do and how do I change my routing and account number so that you guys have it

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

If you have not filed your return yet, you can make this change in the File section of the program.

Changing Direct Deposit information

Entering bank direct deposit information

If you have already filed your return and it has been accepted, you cannot make any changes to your return as it has already been transmitted to the IRS.  If your bank account is no longer there, the deposit will be rejected and your refund will be mailed on a paper check to the address on the tax return filed.

Federal refund questions

kathrynfruchtman
Returning Member

This is Kathryn  I am trying to reach you guys because it's one I have not received my federal or income taxes I'm old $1,111 you guys are taking out two hundred and I believe it is 60 because I had you help me do my taxes but I have to change my bank account and routing number show my taxes and stimulus check will go to the right Bank the bank is citizens Bank my account number is [phone number removed] that is the account number and the routing number is [social security number removed] and I would appreciate if somebody could email me back at my full name all lowercase a or phone me at [phone number removed] I need to take care of this as soon as possible I've been trying now for 2 weeks to get somebody live this is getting a little ridiculous I apologize for the attitude but I need this fixed thank you

@kathrynfruchtman 

Oh, my!  This user community is a public Internet forum.   This is not a direct route to TurboTax Support.  You should not post all that personal info in a public forum like this.   Luckily it looks like the forum privacy filter has removed the numbers you posted.  However, it still tells folks your email address.   You can edit that to remove it.  To do so, click the tiny blue 3-dot icon next to your comment, and in the dropdown choose EDIT.    It's possible a Moderator might remove it in the meantime.

If you're trying to reach folks at TurboTax  Support,  here's how:

Support hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern), Mon-Fri

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Or use this contact form:
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

Also if you chose to pay your TurboTax fees out of your Federal refund, and if your Federal refund has been delayed at the IRS, and if TurboTax is about to debit your bank account for the TurboTax fees, you can ask for a deferment if you have a hardship.   There is a phone number you can use to reach them in the first paragraph of the FAQ below:

FAQ:  Why was my bank account auto-debited for the TurboTax fees?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/why-was-my-bank-account-auto-debited-for-tur...

@kathrynfruchtman 

Once you file the DD info cannot be changed ... once the old bank rejects the deposit it is sent back to the IRS where it is automatically converted to a paper check mailed to the address on the return.   This conversion usually takes 2 - 3 weeks however these are not usual times so expect it to take much longer. 

SylasandDakota
Returning Member

You don't have the wrong information and it needs to be changed so I can get my f****** check please

Once a return is filed the IRS will not allow a change of DD information ... this is a safety precaution and there is nothing TT or you can do about it.   Once a DD is issued and the bank rejects the deposit  the IRS automatically switches to a check mailed to the address on the return.  Normally this conversion will take 2-3 weeks however we are not in normal times so it may take much longer.   All you can do is what the progress report on the IRS web site :  https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Minorbill29
Returning Member

I need to update my direct deposit information 

SylasandDakota
Returning Member

And how exactly do I change my information for my direct deposit tell me that

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

It cannot be updated.  If the account the funds are sent to is no longer valid they will be returned and the IRS will mail you a debit card or check instead.  

@SylasandDakota

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies