turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

givn2fly

I entered the wrong info in the child tax credit section and it won't let me go back to edit. Help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
ddaven12

I entered the wrong info in the child tax credit section and it won't let me go back to edit. Help!

You can return to the Child Tax Credit section as long as you have not yet filed your tax return. If you made a mistake entering information concerning the Child Tax Credit: 

If the mistake has to do with incorrect entry regarding a dependent, such as their age, go to  My Info in the left side panel and on the Personal Info Summary page go through the personal information screens, correcting the information you previously entered incorrectly. 

You can also delete the Forms and re-enter the information, to delete:

• Click on "Tax Tools >Tools" in the left panel
  • Click on "Tools" from the drop-down list
  • In the Tools Center pop up window select "Delete a form"
  • Delete Schedule 8812 Child Tax Credit Worksheet.
  • You will also need to delete the Dependent Information Worksheet for the child you made the mistake on and re-enter that child's information.

Note: This will completely eliminate the credit and you will have to re-enter the information to get the credit back.

Please keep in mind that doing this will eliminate the credit and you will have to re-enter the information you need to get that credit back. If whatever you entered initially resulted in the software saying you were not getting any credit at all, then the worksheet won't exist for you to delete, and you will have to revisit the Personal Information Summary section.

Please be sure you re-enter all the correct information in order for the credit to generate.

I'm going to bump off this. 

I already filed and 99.9% of the time I am very careful and triple check my return before filing but this year i made a mistake. 

On my childcare expense  the from from the daycare state 4372.00 but for some dumb reason I put 4732.00 accidentally switching the 3 and the 7 making the amount higher. 

Now I calculated it out already and it did not make a change to the over all amount I get back due to the childcare tax credit however it was pure calculation going off the IRS's amounts on their website. 

So A is there a way I can go back into my return on turbo tax and plug in the correct number and see if that makes a difference.. 

B  What will the IRS do? Will they notice and correct? Will they put my review under return or send the refund as normal so I can amend it right away? 

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

No, at this point there is no way to get back into the return to correct it being the you already filed. You will need to wait until the IRS accepts your return before you are able to amend it. For steps on how to amend your return please click the link below.

How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return? - Community

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@ChondelLO 

Do you think that 400 mistake on the childcare credit will trigger a review and hold up my refund? 

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@caron1981 we have no way of knowing if the IRS will choose to review your return due to this mistake.  However, if the IRS happens to reject your return, you can revisit your return within TurboTax, make the correction and re-file.  Refer to the following TurboTax FAQ for details:  How do I fix a rejected return? - Community

Maperilo

I am having exactly same problem in Turbo tax 2019. Once I entered the information for Dependent child credit, Turbo tax will not allow you to revise the information. There is no way to add new organizations you paid child care, add dependents expenses , change values of expenditures or anything. When you select to update the data in "Deductions" it asks you a couple of questions like if "you earned income as an inmate", then jumps to "congratulate you because you got a tax credit.." and goes back to the Deductions page. It doesn't show you what you have already entered or give you a chance to update any information. This is certainly a bug in Turbotax which I hope will be resolved soon. The other option to delete the forms and to enter the information again is not functional, this is not a solution to the problem!.

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@Maperilo Please use the steps below to go back through the interview process to enter your child care provider's EIN.

To Add a Childcare Provider in TurboTax Online:

1. Go to "Federal Taxes" at the top of the screen

2. Select "Deductions & Credits"

3. Scroll down to "You and Your Family" and select "Show More"

4. Select "Start" next to "Child and Dependent Care Credit"

5. Select "Yes" to "Did you pay for child or dependent care in 2019?"

6. Select "Continue" on the Add Dependents page and proceed to answer the questions

7. When asked "Who provided the care?" select "An Organization" and continue to enter their ID on the next page

For general information on the Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit visit this link: Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit

Maperilo

Thanks for your prompt response but I am not using Turbotax online, I am using the Desktop Turbotax. In this version and according to your instructions: 

1. Go to "Federal Taxes" at the top of the screen

2. Select "Deductions & Credits"

3. Scroll down to "You and Your Family" and select "Show More"

I don't see the "Show more" in you and Your family". I have to Click in "Update" in the "Child and other Dependent Tax credit". This doesn't take me to the dialog in Steps 4 of your instructions. Please try the Turbotax Desktop software and you will see.

Thanks

Jlogan12
Returning Member

I filed with turbo tax and for got to update the last year agi from 2019 on my 2020 return. I put way less than in supose to will my taxes been pending since Feb 18th 2020 idk what go do. Basically I made 11 grand but put 7 grand for it -2019 on my 2020. I wonder if the irs will reject my taxes so I can refile all over again. I was told that they might correct ir for me or send me a check but i loss out on cash that i was supose to have. Please help me. All my w2 info is correct it just the agi for 2019 is off basically my whole taxes are off.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@Jlogan12 You only enter your 2019 AGI when Efiling as a way to identify yourself to the IRS.  It is NOT used in calculating your refund for your 2020 return, unless you used your 2019 AGI for calculating the Earned Income Credit. 

If this is the case, and you have already filed and been Accepted, the IRS may adjust your 2019 amount, as you mentioned.  You will still get any stimulus payments you claimed as a Recovery Rebate Credit.

The Third Stimulus Payment  comes to you directly, not through TurboTax. 

Click this link for more info on How to Find Last Year's AGI.

Click this link to Check Efile Status

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies