turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can we expect issues with a third stimulus?

I have already filed, and applied for an advance when I did. If and when they approve a third stimulus what happens then? I know if i get approved for an advance my refund will go through a third party bank and that is where the issues came up with direct depositing the other stimulus checks. Has turbo tax thought about this in advance or can I expect the same thing to happen with the third stimulus that happened with the last two?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

No body knows for sure  what congress will do yet ... but they will probably issue the next payment as an advance of the 2021 credit like the last ones were an advance of the 2020 credit ... so if you are short changed you can get the missing money on the 2021 return you file next year. 

I understand that, but my question is since my refund goes through a third party bank if I am approved for the advance can I expect all of the problems people had with the last stimulus? The irs sent them to the wrong place, and they were rejected and then sent back. Does turbo tax have something to stop that from happening this time around?

Instead of paying an extra fee to have the fees withheld from the federal refund why don't you get a pre paid debit card at the store for $5 & put just enough on the card to pay for the TT fees upfront and then use the same debit card to receive the refund ???  

Or better yet don't pay any fees ... 

If you qualify   you can use one of  the 10 IRS FREE FILE options to file a fed & state return for free ... but you must log in thru the IRS site :

https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

For Filing Season 2021, you must make $72,000 or below to use one of the 10  IRS Free File partner offers.

If you choose the TT option then you can log in with your same user ID and agree to switch to the FREE FILE option then your progress will be preserved.  This will only work if you qualify for the TT option which is NOT the same for other IRS FREE FILE options...

To qualify for free 2020 federal and state tax returns with the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax, you'll need to meet at least one of these requirements:

• A maximum 2020 adjusted gross income (AGI) of $39,000; or
  • You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC); or
  • You served as active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a maximum 2020 AGI of $72,000 (you'll also need a military-issued W-2).

I already filed, and paid my fees upfront..but I applied for the refund advance. I didnt think about issues with the third stimulus until after I had filed.

Well there is nothing you can do about it now.  

That is why I am asking if they have taken any steps to avoid this in the future since they now know what to expect.

The third party bank has  not posted anything on the subject.  Just for the record ...   the first payment was a total  surprise they were not ready for and the second payment was an IRS error since the IRS said they would NOT involve the processing banks in any way.  Both times they did they best they could under difficult unprecedented  circumstances.  They will do the best they can if and when a third stimulus payment happens.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies