turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

toya31396

Can I use the 1040X form printed from the irs website to amend my 2020 taxes in TurboTax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

Can I use the 1040X form printed from the irs website to amend my 2020 taxes in TurboTax?

Just do it! It will be faster than waiting for TT.

Sure if you want to do it by hand.

Do not rush to amend - no hurry. You have 3 years to amend and amended returns are taking 4-6 months or longer to be processed so waiting a few weeks will make little difference and amending too soon might just compound the problem.

You should *wait* until your return has been processed and you receive your refund or conformation that any tax due has been paid. (If you file an amended return while you first return is being processed it can cause extended delays for both returns if two returns are in the system at the same time). In addition, if the IRS makes any change on your original return, you might end up having to amend the amendment – a sticky process that can take a year or more).

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies