turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

e_b_young

Can I provide the IRS with my direct deposit information if I am not anticipating a refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I provide the IRS with my direct deposit information if I am not anticipating a refund?

If you already filed your return,  the IRS is going to give taxpayers the chance to enter their own banking information.  See the following:

The IRS does not have my direct deposit information. What can I do?

In the coming weeks, Treasury plans to develop a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online, so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

View solution in original post

9 Replies

If you have filed a 2019 tax return and need to change or add your direct deposit information, see this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know
In the coming weeks, Treasury plans to develop a web-based portal for individuals to provide their banking information to the IRS online, so that individuals can receive payments immediately as opposed to checks in the mail.

If you already filed your return,  the IRS is going to give taxpayers the chance to enter their own banking information.  See the following:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

Nthompso1

The IRS has my direct deposit information to withdraw my under payment this year. Can that be used as the direct deposit information for paying the stimulus check? It's the same account I would use either way.

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

The IRS is working on a portal for people to add or correct their bank account information for the stimulus payment.   We will have more information once the government finalizes the details.

In the meantime, you can visit the following links for the most recent updates:

TurboTax Corona Virus Updates or IRS Corona Tax Relief.

@e_b_young

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am in the same boat. I pay every year. The information they have for my payment is the same as what they need for direct deposit. So I hope that works. Because if they open a website to add the bank info I have a feeling it will be a disaster like trying to file for unemployment online was in Florida. 

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

If your tax return has your personal bank information that was used to either receive a direct deposit of your refund or was used to pay your tax due then the IRS has your bank information to use for your direct deposit of your stimulus check.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
nlt0
Level 2

Thank you very much! I hope you're right!

e_b_young

Is it possible to use TurboTax to provide the IRS with my direct deposit information even if I am not expecting a tax return? The IRS and TurboTax do not currently have my information.

Thank you

@e_b_young wrote:

Is it possible to use TurboTax to provide the IRS with my direct deposit information even if I am not expecting a tax return? The IRS and TurboTax do not currently have my information.

Thank you

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

To help everyone check on the status of their payments, the IRS is building a second new tool expected to be available for use by April 17. Get My Payment will provide people with the status of their payment, including the date their payment is scheduled to be deposited into their bank account or mailed to them.

An additional feature on Get My Payment will allow eligible people a chance to provide their bank account information so they can receive their payment more quickly rather than waiting for a paper check. This feature will be unavailable if the Economic Impact Payment has already been scheduled for delivery.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies