turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I pay for filing for state taxes for my son using my bank account-checking information?

See question above, do you have an answer or guidance?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I pay for filing for state taxes for my son using my bank account-checking information?

Sure---if you are trying to pay the state e-filing fee in desktop software you can pay using your own card even if the return is for your son.   I have done that on several occasions for family members.   But just so you know---you can avoid the state e-file fee by having him print, sign and mail the state return instead of e-filing it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

5 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

No. While there are no IRS rules that specifically forbid you from depositing your son's refund into your account, it is not recommended. Most banks have fraud-prevention measures that won't allow a direct deposit into an account bearing a different name.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Do you need to pay the $25 state efile fee in the Desktop program?  I think you can use your credit card to pay the fees.

Sure---if you are trying to pay the state e-filing fee in desktop software you can pay using your own card even if the return is for your son.   I have done that on several occasions for family members.   But just so you know---you can avoid the state e-file fee by having him print, sign and mail the state return instead of e-filing it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

My question was that I just wanted to use my credit card information and pay for my

son's state filing of his tax for 2020.  In fact he will be getting some refund from the

state, but at the present time he does not have the money available to satisfy the

requirement to pay $45   to file his state taxes.

It is only $25 to efile a state return in the Desktop program.  Or do you need to buy a state program download for $45?   Is his state return in a different state than yours?  You do get 1 free state PROGRAM download and it can prepare unlimited state returns in that state.  

Or are you using the Online version?  State is $50 in Deluxe and higher.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies