turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

epvega69
Returning Member

Can i change my bank account information ... the Account number that is in there is not my account but the ROUTING NO. .. IS THERE.

MY ROUTING NUMBER ENDING IN #1169.... IS GOOD BUT MY ACCOUNT NO # ENDING IN # 6008....IS NOT GOOD  FOR ME  MY ACCOUNT # ENDING IN 156
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Can i change my bank account information ... the Account number that is in there is not my account but the ROUTING NO. .. IS THERE.

Your banking information cannot be changed after your tax return has been filed and accepted.

You enter/change banking information in the FILE section before you file your 2020 return.  The information in your tax return does not go to the IRS until you file the tax return and it has been accepted for processing.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
epvega69
Returning Member

YOUR ANSWERR WAS NOT NO HELP AT ALL...

If you have NOT e-filed yet you can change your banking information in the FILE section of the software.   

If you already e-filed your 2020 tax return you cannot change your banking information unless the return is rejected when the IRS begins to accept/reject returns on or after February 12.   If your return is rejected then you will be able to change the banking information you entered.  Then you can re-file the return.

If the return is accepted by the IRS with incorrect banking information, when it goes to the wrong bank account the bank will send the deposit back to the IRS.  Then the IRS will mail a check to the address on your tax return.

Here is what the IRS says about entering incorrect banking information

https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-an...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

my routing no and bank account is wrong

@ronald whiteside

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refunds/help/how-do-i-review-the-federal-refund-method-i-chose-aft...

Did you already e-file?  If you did NOT e-file you can go to the FILE section and change how you want to receive your refund.  If you want direct deposit you need the routing number and your own account number.

You cannot  change banking information while your return is in pending, nor can you change it after the return is accepted.  The IRS does not allow it.

If you e-filed:

Banking information for direct deposit is wrong

If you entered incorrect banking information for your refund, you can change it if your return is rejected.  If it is accepted, however, it is too late to change it.  The bank will reject the refund and send it back to the IRS.  Then the IRS will issue a paper check and mail it to the address you put on your tax return.  Expect a delay of at least a couple of weeks to receive your refund.

Here is what the IRS says about entering incorrect banking information

https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-an...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies