Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

LS13
Level 3

Can I amend my taxes to remove my daughter as a dependent so that her father who I am unmarried to but live with can claim her?

@JotikaT2 I put my 23 year old son on my return.  He receives SSI. I don't believe I got much credit for him. Will he still be able to get his stimulus check or will I have to amend my taxes? Do zi need to register him under the non filers portal? Will I have to wait until my amended return is accepted or he is fully removed? Thanks

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Can I amend my taxes to remove my daughter as a dependent so that her father who I am unmarried to but live with can claim her?

If you claimed him as a dependent, he will not be eligible for a stimulus check.  You would need to amend your return to remove him as a dependent.

Yes, you will also have to wait until your amended return is processed to register him using the Non-Filers portal.  If you try now, you will get a rejection stating he was already claimed as a dependent if your return has been filed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
LS13
Level 3

@JotikaT2 If I amend it now, do you know how long it will take? Also, will they direct deposit it then or will it be for next year? How will it work? Thanks

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Unfortunately, no.  Everything is still in the air with the Covid-19 and things reopening slowly.

The IRS is set to issue stimulus payments throughout 2020.  But if for some reason your dependent does not receive the stimulus payment, when they file their tax return next year, they will be asked how much of a stimulus payment they received.  If it was less than they were entitled to, they will receive a credit on their tax return.

Stimulus payment frequently asked questions

I have a similar situation I need help with. If someone used to be a dependent but was no longer eligible for 2019 but the their name was put down as a dependent with the box left unchecked to qualify them for any credit on someone's return. No credit was received for that dependent either because the box was left unchecked beside the dependent name. But their name was apparently saved from previous years and the tax pro knew they wasn't no longer a dependent but yet  left the name on the form but didn't check the box. Not being aware of the issue and assumed since no credit was giving for the dependent it was done correctly. But looking on tax forms the dependent name was left under dependents with box unchecked to qualify for credit. So how do you file an amend to remove the dependent names when no credit was giving for the dependent? One would think since no credit was received that the person wasn't considered claimed as a dependent and I was told that by several people. But that has to be the reason they didn't receive a stimulus check. They get SSI only don't file taxes. Are they still considered a dependent when box isn't checked and no credit giving? If so how do you file an amend to remove them cause they are no longer a dependent.Any help would be greatly appreciated 

LS13
Level 3

@12renea4 I am in a similar situation.  From what I was told, I will have to amend my return and remove them. Once they are removed, they can go on the site and go the portal to get their stimulus check. Unfortunately,  we have to wait because you can only mail in amended returns and they are not processing those at the moment.  Hopefully this helps. 

Thank you for answering me back! So I'm guessing we can go ahead and do the amend and mail it to get that part out of the way. Then once the IRS start processing them hopefully it won't take long. But going ahead a starting it would be better,I think! Also I've seen many who finally received their income taxes so seems that maybe they're getting some tax work too. The IRS stated most have received their stimulus check with like 10 million left and considering how many they had to do,that's definitely seems like making great progress. I still can't believe they left all dependents out 17 and over that is so wrong. Obviously whoever claims them is in a financial spot themselves right now just like getting $500 for 16 yrs or younger. Don't they realize it's no different regardless of age people still need the money to either help provide for dependent or give the adults dependent their own check. Sorry that's just how I feel and it's not a one size fits all thing either. Just unblock how they done by leaving ones in this group completely out.

Hello I made a mistake by file with my dependent when her father was supposed to file her he hasn’t filed yet but I did can I amend it before I get my refund so he can e-file with her as his dependent??

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@Atrinidad22

Please see this Turbo Tax FAQ on when you should amend. When to amend

To amend your return, wait to see if your return has been accepted or rejected by the IRS or state. If rejected, you can correct and re-send your return. If accepted you should wait until your return has been processed and you receive your refund or confirmation that any tax due has been paid. If you file an amended return while your first return is being processed it can cause extended delays for both returns if two returns are in the system at the same time. In addition, if the IRS makes any change on your original return, you might end up having to amend the amendment. Amended returns can only be mailed - allow 8-12 weeks - can take up to 16 weeks (4 months) for processing.

This Turbo Tax FAQ will show you how to amend your return. How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed. How to amend

I’m currently in the same situation, I’m the mom and got approved, dad got rejected. I am going to amend after I receive mine so that he can get the credits for our daughter but I’m curious in your situation did mom have to pay anything back after amending? @grc_4111 

@SForrestLO 
Hi there! I’m in a situation that hopefully you can give me advice on what to do.

My daughters father and I both e-filed around the same time, I didn’t realize I was getting EITC from my daughter because I selected the option stating that I had an agreement with the other parent and he would be claiming her. I got accepted and his return got rejected. I still want him to be the one to receive child tax credit and EITC for our daughter, I know I will need to amend mine by mail. Will he have to wait to paper file his return until after I send in my amended return? Also, will I most likely have to pay back what I will receive for the first return?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Your daughter's dad will not be able to E-files as long as you and he are both claiming your daughter.

If your return has been accepted, and you have received a refund you can start the amendment process.  (I suggest you wait to get the refund first.  This allows the IRS to complete their processing.)

Your daughter's father should paper file his tax return with your daughter on it. Be sure he remembers to sign it.  It will not be processed if he does not.

Both of you will then get an IRS notice stating that your daughter was entered on both returns.  You will then be able to respond that you have already submitted an amended return taking her off the return.

@JohnB5677 
Thank you for that, very helpful!

What will happen after I amend? Will I have to pay back the amount I originally received? 

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@julthom

Once you have completed amending your return, you will see if you have an additional refund or if you will owe taxes.  It will show at the top of the screen. 

Love 3111
Returning Member

How will you know when the dependant is removed and able to use their ss

number

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies