Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

Its been a total of 9 months since amend return. I have not received my money and the status still hasn't changed to tell me its coming. Get this I called Turbo and the money we spend only helps with Audits. Well then your not worth the 190. Realistically every penny counts and its my money and I want it. The lady gonna say keep calling and meanwhile you can't reach anyone from the IRS. Then she says due to the PANDEMIC they aren't answering calls. Well I could careless they have enough money and yet I am trying to track my money. We are all Dollar Signs and this Dollar sign wants HER MONEY ALMOST A YEAR WAITING GTFOH

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

@ TsCintron31 wrote:

Its been a total of 9 months since amend return. I have not received my money and the status still hasn't changed to tell me its coming. Get this I called Turbo and the money we spend only helps with Audits. Well then your not worth the 190. Realistically every penny counts and its my money and I want it. The lady gonna say keep calling and meanwhile you can't reach anyone from the IRS. Then she says due to the PANDEMIC they aren't answering calls. Well I could careless they have enough money and yet I am trying to track my money. We are all Dollar Signs and this Dollar sign wants HER MONEY ALMOST A YEAR WAITING GTFOH

There have been extremely long delays at the IRS in processing paper returns from the last several months due to the Coronavirus.   I'll tell you the normal way to reach an IRS agent, but it may be very difficult due to the Pandemic, and since so many people are calling them about their stimulus money, etc.  So if that's unsuccessful, I've also left below steps to reach the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service so you can enlist their aid.   They may also be able to transfer you to an IRS agent.

IRS:  800-829-1040 (7AM-7 PM local time) Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do not choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

• First choose your language.  Then listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • Then press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions." 
  • It may then ask for your SSN, but do not enter it.  Just wait.    If it asks for SSN a second time, still do not enter it.
  • Then it will get "tired", and you'll get another menu.  Choose 2 for "personal".
  • Then in the next menu choose 4 for "all other inquiries", and it should transfer you to an agent but expect a long wait.
  • I usually use a speakerphone so I can work on something else while waiting.

If you continue to have no luck reaching the IRS, you can try contacting the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service for your area.    They are especially prone to help if you have an economic hardship, or if there have been continued delays with lack of info from the IRS.    At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your IRS Taxpayer Advocate.    If the Taxpayer Advocate can't/won't help you, ask them to transfer you to an an IRS agent.  A couple of users reported that at least for them, that was a backdoor route to the IRS.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

wisconsin_wolf
Returning Member

Just wanted to share latest status on this. After around 5 months, the system showed my amendment was received on Aug 26 and it instructed me to call a number. I called and they said they are behind and it would take at least another 30 days for my my amendment to be processed

Wow. I sent mine May 20, 2020 and I just checked and nothing.  It would be nice to know if they at least have it. Now they are inundated with 2020 tax returns.  So aggravating to have to keep checking when they are not statusing. 

Back in November 2020, I posted the following:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's what I've experienced, in case this timeline helps clarify things for anybody:

Feb. 23 2020: E-filed original 2019 Federal return through TurboTax

Mar. 9 2020: Received refund electronically

May 18 2020: Mailed my amended return along with a check for underpayment

July 31 2020: Check was deposited by the IRS

Oct. 1 2020 or so: The "Where's My Amended Return?" website finally shows some activity. Until this point, there was no information. I can now select a 2019 option and click CONTINUE. When I do do so, I get this:

"Your amended return was received on June 01, 2020. However, it has not been processed. We apologize for any inconvenience.  Please call [phone number removed], extension 623, between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. You will need a copy of your amended return."

November 20, 2020 (today): I called the number and was told the hold would be 10 to 15 minutes. It ended up being 40, but I talked to an agent, and he said that even though the system shows June 1 as the receipt date, it's the date it shows up in the system (he stated the date as October 1) when the 12- to 16-week processing period STARTS. He advised me to periodically check the website for an update. If I don't see an update in January/February, I should call back.

I hope that helps others who are waiting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the final update:

I kept checking weekly or so and saw no new movement, but then suddenly yesterday my wife and I received identical mailings from the IRS saying our amended return was accepted and everything was done (in my case, as I say above, I had included a check for underpayment and they showed my final balance as $0.00). When I checked the "Where's My Amended Return?" website it showed that they had received the amended return on June 1, 2020 (though that's stretching the truth) and that my return was adjusted on Feb. 5, 2021.

So I mailed it May 18, 2020 and got an answer on Feb. 10, 2021 in the mail. Almost nine months, and it's finally done.

There's light at the end of the tunnel, folks.  Be well.

that's awesome for you but they literally accepted mine on March 3rd, 2 months before yours and i've got nothing

It’s been 12 weeks since the certified mail indicated they received it, but still not showing up as received. Forget trying to contact the IRS I’ve tried several times. I feel like they just threw it away. Not sure what I’m gonna do in the next four weeks when it will officially be the 16th week and they’ve yet to acknowledge receipt of letter. 

@Charlesskelton wrote:

It’s been 12 weeks since the certified mail indicated they received it, but still not showing up as received. Forget trying to contact the IRS I’ve tried several times. I feel like they just threw it away. Not sure what I’m gonna do in the next four weeks when it will officially be the 16th week and they’ve yet to acknowledge receipt of letter. 

Due to Coronavirus, the IRS is way behind on processing paper returns.  For several months last spring and summer they didn't process any paper returns at all, and they stacked up in bins and trucks.   Some users who mailed 2019 returns or amended returns last spring and summer are just now getting results; i.e., months later.   The IRS says it is processing all mail in the order it was received.   So unless things change quickly with the situation at the IRS, it will likely take more than 16 weeks to process yours.

If you want to speak to one, see my answer above in this same thread on how to reach a live agent at the IRS, although it is more difficult due to the Pandemic, all the stimulus calls, etc.    That same answer also provided the steps to reach the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service for your area.   If the Taxpayer Advocate can't help you, ask them to transfer you to an IRS agent.  Some users have said that was a backdoor way for them.

Have you received your refund yet ? 

I sent mine back in May 2020 also and have not received anything or even on the Amended Refund search and here it is March 2021.

I have some input. I sent mine in May 2020 also. I just saw my status change and it told me to call a number and extension. They checked and said it was complete so I have been looked for my check for about a week, but nothing so far. I am waiting until the end of this week and if I do not have it I am calling again. But at least a person verified it was done. It did say it was received May 22, 2020 (I mailed it May 20, 2020).

CALL THIS NUMBER IF IT'S BEEN LONGER THAN 3 WEEKS AND LONGER THAN 3 MONTHS:

Yes I do try and call. I sat on hold a full 8hr shift and no answer. Prior web message said it can take 3weeks to see amend and 16 weeks for payment.  I checked back online now and it says the information I entered is wrong. When it is correct.  Meanwhile Turbo Should help fight for my funds but NO. I am pissed and frankly losing all trust in the IRS ITS coming up to a full Year. Keep in mind I got my amend State in less than 30 days. Yes the PANDEMIC has put a dent on things but REALISTIC IT BECAME A REASON FOR PEOPLE NOT TO DO THEIR JOB BE LAZY AND WAIT ON A HANDOUT

Excuse my rudeness Thank You for that information!

It's officially been 1 year and 7 days since the IRS accepted my amended return.  not shipped or sent.... but actual IRS confirmation that they accepted it on March 1st, 2020.. and still nothing.  not processed.   called them and got through and they had no other information for me but covid and they're being processed in the order they're received.. which is a lie if other people on here are telling the truth..  guess i'll wait another 3 months and call again..

aron,

questions:

1. do they owe you a refund?

2. do you owe them?

if you don't owe them, then just rest assured they got your amended return since since they told you they accepted your file.

if you owe them did your payment clear, either electronically or by check?

if it cleared or went through electronically then rest assured they processed your amended return.

if you didn't owe and you weren't getting a refund back, then rest assured they got your amended return because you received notice that they accepted your return.

Did you submit your amended return online - or - did you mail a hard copy in the regular mail?

With me, my amended return was not submitted online, I actually mailed my hard copy in the mail to them and it took a long time for them to process, I had no way of knowing if it even got there because when we mail it in the mail we don't get any notice they accepted it.  The only way I knew they processed mine was because I owed them and enclosed a check and I saw my check clear through my bank.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies