Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

Hi did you ever receive your amend ? Mine has been open but doesn’t state it was processed 

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

I am in the same exact boat. They still haven't updated the where is my amended return app. And the IRS app still says pending. I'm so frustrated and want to cry.

4 times I've used your list (which is completely accurate BTW - thank you), only to get to the point where I'm on hold and then it just... hangs up.  The IRS just hangs up.  This is not a good look for even them.

cleve60
Returning Member

Just an FYI about amended returns.  The IRS lost 3 valuable months to COVID.  On top of that many employees didn't return to work once the service centers were reopened.  I can tell you for a fact that amended returns are not a priority, which is why you are not seeing any change on the Where's my Amended Return app.  With the filing date extended to July and the extension for filing extended to October 15th they are still processing returns.  Be patient your return has a post mark and they will be processed in the order received.

blakely23

I sent my amended returned the beginning of March. About one day before everything shut down. It is still not in the system as saying received. I get they open it in order but I have talked to people who also sent in returns in May/June and theirs have marked as received and being process. I am now very worried that mine was never received. I can't get through to talk to anyone. They hang up before I am able to talk to anyone. At this point do I just sent another in? It says not to but at this point I'm not sure what to do.

It's been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return 

Juancsilva123
Returning Member

You can this irs number [removed] and then enter 623 and you can ask them!!! This number works I just call today !!! Good luck!!

@Tiaralamey

The IRS has not been working on mailed returns until very recently---and an amended return could only be filed by mailing it in until late August 2020 when the IRS began to accept e-filed 2019 amended returns.   Under normal circumstances you would be able to see something about your mailed in Form 1040X after about three weeks, but that is not the case right now.  The usual 4 months for processing an amended return is going to take longer.  Sorry.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/politics/irs-mail-trailers-covid/index.html

MAILED RETURNS

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continue 

IRS operational status and alternatives

Processing Delays for Paper Tax Returns: Taxpayers should file electronically through their tax preparer, tax software provider, or IRS Free File

We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

If you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

TurboTax will not know anything about your amended return, and nor will TT know that you put your 1040X  in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

When the IRS finally opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site.

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Here's what I've experienced, in case this timeline helps clarify things for anybody:

Feb. 23 2020: E-filed original 2019 Federal return through TurboTax

Mar. 9 2020: Received refund electronically

May 18 2020: Mailed my amended return along with a check for underpayment

July 31 2020: Check was deposited by the IRS

Oct. 1 2020 or so: The "Where's My Amended Return?" website finally shows some activity. Until this point, there was no information. I can now select a 2019 option and click CONTINUE. When I do do so, I get this:

"Your amended return was received on June 01, 2020. However, it has not been processed. We apologize for any inconvenience.  Please call [phone number removed], extension 623, between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday through Friday. You will need a copy of your amended return."

November 20, 2020 (today): I called the number and was told the hold would be 10 to 15 minutes. It ended up being 40, but I talked to an agent, and he said that even though the system shows June 1 as the receipt date, it's the date it shows up in the system (he stated the date as October 1) when the 12- to 16-week processing period STARTS. He advised me to periodically check the website for an update. If I don't see an update in January/February, I should call back.

I hope that helps others who are waiting.

Well, they blocked the number. Go figure.

The IRS "Where's My Amended Return?" web site (https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return) does clearly say "IRS telephone assistors don’t have any additional information about your amended return while it is processing. Call our toll-free number only when the tool asks you to contact us." If you don't have the number from the website, having it won't do you any good.

Thank you!

Ive been checking for WEEKS with the same result on their portal. Tried calling about 6 weeks ago and was told their systems were down. 

I will join the ranks of those looking for an update to their submission to arrive early next year. 

Irmalinda

Yes I printed and mailed it myself . It has been months now. And not able to check status or have I received anything

@Irmalinda

Are you asking about an amended return?  Your question is not specific.   This thread contains posts from a LOT of users.

The IRS has not been working on mailed returns until very recently---and an amended return could only be filed by mailing it in until late August 2020 when the IRS began to accept e-filed 2019 amended returns.   Under normal circumstances you would be able to see something about your mailed in Form 1040X after about three weeks, but that is not the case right now.  The usual 4 months for processing an amended return is going to take longer.  Sorry.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/politics/irs-mail-trailers-covid/index.html

MAILED RETURNS

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continue 

IRS operational status and alternatives

Processing Delays for Paper Tax Returns: Taxpayers should file electronically through their tax preparer, tax software provider, or IRS Free File

We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

If you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

TurboTax will not know anything about your amended return, and nor will TT know that you put your 1040X  in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

When the IRS finally opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site.

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
felishadunn
Returning Member

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return 2018 and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies