turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

Its been since April 8th since i filed my amended refund & its not showing me anything. It only shows my amended return from 2016. What should i do now? 

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

@Thmbands76 wrote:

Its been since April 8th since i filed my amended refund & its not showing me anything. It only shows my amended return from 2016. What should i do now? 

"Filed" or mailed?   Amended (1040X) returns can only be mailed.   Normally it takes about 3 weeks before they show up on the https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return  site, but the IRS has not been processing ANY mail for the last 9 weeks and have a huge backlog so the normal 3 weeks might be 2 months.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

An amended return usually takes up to 4 months to process however with the 2 month delay this year expect it to take more like 6 months...patience will be needed.

Kmaroot

I have a question for any experts out there - I mailed in an amended tax form around March 2nd, well before the CARES act was passed and stimulus checks started going out. I know amended returns can take quite a while and there’s additional delays right now but my understanding is you would typically see them recorded in the system within about 3 weeks. Mine is not and it’s been approx 14 weeks since I sent it in. 

Would this backlog due to COVID and stimulus checks be going back to the beginning of March? Is anyone aware of when the IRS put paper tax filing on hold to focus on stimulus checks? Im pretty resigned to not seeing any money until fall at the earliest but I’m also concerned about whether they received the amended form at all. 

@Kmaroot

The IRS is not working on mailed returns now---and an amended return can only be filed by mailing it in.  Under normal circumstances you would be able to see something about your mailed in Form 1040X after about three weeks, but that is not the case right now.  The usual 4 months for processing an amended return is going to take longer.  Sorry.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/politics/irs-mail-trailers-covid/index.html

MAILED RETURNS

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continueThe IRS is not currently able to process individual paper tax returns. If you already have filed via paper but it has not yet been processed, do not file a second tax return or write to the IRS to inquire about the status of your return or your economic impact payment. Paper returns will be processed  once processing centers are able to reopen. 

If you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

TurboTax will not know anything about your amended return, and nor will TT know that you put your 1040X  in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

When the IRS finally opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site.

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@Kmaroot wrote:

I have a question for any experts out there - I mailed in an amended tax form around March 2nd, well before the CARES act was passed and stimulus checks started going out. I know amended returns can take quite a while and there’s additional delays right now but my understanding is you would typically see them recorded in the system within about 3 weeks. Mine is not and it’s been approx 14 weeks since I sent it in. 

Would this backlog due to COVID and stimulus checks be going back to the beginning of March? Is anyone aware of when the IRS put paper tax filing on hold to focus on stimulus checks? Im pretty resigned to not seeing any money until fall at the earliest but I’m also concerned about whether they received the amended form at all. 

Hard to say.   The IRS has not even opened mail for the last 10 weeks or so, and have a huge backlog.   Mailed amended returns  must be manually entered into the IRS system  and employees that do that have not worked.   

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I'm definitely not a tax expert but, I filed by paper on March 2.  The website still says they have no information.  I even ordered my tax transcript hoping it would give me more information and it has absolutely nothing about my 2019 taxes on it.  Mine (and probably yours) are sitting in a bin somewhere with a million other pieces of mail waiting to be opened. 

Amended returns usually take 3 to 4 months to process ... so add 2 more months to the timeline due to the virus shut down ... so I would not expect anything until nearly Thanksgiving and if it comes in sooner rejoice.

Skilar65

It has been since March 3rd.2020 ! Where is my amended return ??

@ Skilar65 wrote:

It has been since March 3rd.2020 ! Where is my amended return ??

Hopefully, you printed, signed, and mailed the amended return to the IRS.  It cannot be efiled.  And TurboTax does not mail it for you.

Even in the best of times, it takes up to 16 weeks to process an amended return.   But these are not normal times.  With the Coronavirus pandemic, the IRS has not been processing paper returns the last several weeks.  So expect a longer delay.

It may or may not even show up yet in their 'Where's My Amended Return" tool if they haven't logged it in and started processing.   They have slowly begun processing some of the large backlog.   Is it showing up yet in this tool?

https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

If not, all you can do is check that tool occasionally every few days to see when it starts processing.

They just started opening the mail in June that's been stacking up. So you have to keep waiting.

See this IRS page for the latest information

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

Then once they start opening the mail, After 3 weeks you can track it here,    

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x-/wheres-my-amended-return-1

Mrsflow1

i have mailed my amended return end of march it is a shame because we all are in a struggle right now and those taxes are needed. they are holding my 2019 return until my amended return for 2016 is processed smh and there is no one we could speak with to get this resolved .

@Mrsflow1 wrote:

i have mailed my amended return end of march it is a shame because we all are in a struggle right now and those taxes are needed. they are holding my 2019 return until my amended return for 2016 is processed smh and there is no one we could speak with to get this resolved .

Read above.  Amended return normally take up to 4 months to process but with the COVID-19 10 week IRS shut down will probably take 6-8 months this year.   If you amended in March do not expect anything until September or later.

Skilar65

I mailed in my amended return on March 16, 2020 and it's still not available 

@Skilar65

The IRS is not working on mailed returns now---and an amended return can only be filed by mailing it in.  Under normal circumstances you would be able to see something about your mailed in Form 1040X after about three weeks, but that is not the case right now.  The usual 4 months for processing an amended return is going to take longer.  Sorry.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/politics/irs-mail-trailers-covid/index.html

MAILED RETURNS

Per the IRS website IRS Operations During COVID-19: Mission-critical functions continueThe IRS is not currently able to process individual paper tax returns. If you already have filed via paper but it has not yet been processed, do not file a second tax return or write to the IRS to inquire about the status of your return or your economic impact payment. Paper returns will be processed  once processing centers are able to reopen. 

If you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

TurboTax will not know anything about your amended return, and nor will TT know that you put your 1040X  in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

When the IRS finally opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site.

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies