turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amending filed returns to include w-2 Federal Student work-study to reflect state taxes

I need to complete an amended federal & state return to reflect my federal work-study w-2 that has state/local taxes paid. How do I file an amendment for both returns that will be recognized and catch up to my original filings? What are the form numbers I use? Thanks 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Amending filed returns to include w-2 Federal Student work-study to reflect state taxes

You can't "catch up" to your original return. You must wait until the IRS processes your original return and you receive a refund if you were getting one before you start the amended return. The form is 1040X and it is estimated to be available from TurboTax on 2/5/20. 

DO NOT change your original tax return until you start the amended return. If you have already changed it from the way it was originally filed and accepted, you must change it back before you start the amended return. Wait until you receive the refund from your original return before beginning your amended return to make sure you enter the correct amount. Here is an FAQ to help you:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

Thanks for the information but I’m wondering if the extra money I paid in state taxes will be added to my original filing and increase my EIC award?

I received another W-2 from a company that we use and they sent a second one how I go in to make changes

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

You are not able to make changes to a pending return. To make corrections or changes to your pending return, wait until your return's either been accepted or rejected. Please click the TurboTax Help link, listed below to learn more. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/e-file/help/can-i-cancel-a-pending-return/00/25957

Also, please see the above post from Texas Roger about amending your return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

STOP ... do NOT make any changes to the return UNTIL the amendment process goes live later in February ... if you made changes UNDO them. 

Earned Income Credit (EIC) is based on the AGI and earned income reported on your federal tax return. The amount of state taxes paid has no affect on it. 

See my first reply regarding how to amend a tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies