turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended Return - Unemployment

My son needs to amend his return because the state never sent the 1099-G and he forgot.  Though he knows the taxes might be "returned" per turbo tax , he still needs to file that form but Turbo Tax won't allow it at this time.  So, any thoughts?   I do not want him to be "accused" of not letting the IRS know of the 1099G which no taxes were withheld.   I don't know how to manually adjust for this either.  Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

He needs to wait for his original return to be processed.  If the unemployment benefit paid for 2020 was less than 10,200 the income will be excluded from his federal taxable income. So a federal amendment might not be necessary. 

There may need to be a state amendment, however, with all the recent changes TurboTax is still making updates to the amendment forms so there may be a delay in accessing/completing those forms.  You can find a link to the latest state tax information in the link below as well.

Here is a link with the latest information where you can sign up for notifications.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi there,

So, he already filed his return, it was accepted and he received his refund.   We live in NH so no state tax.   His 1099-G was $3840, no taxes withheld.   

So should I just hold off?  It seems like he obviously won't be taxed, but I don't want his records to not be accurate and then he has an issue later on.

Thoughts?  Thank you for your help!

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

It seems unlikely that the IRS will notify the taxpayer that they have record of the $3,840 in unemployment income if they are not going to assess additional tax.

Perhaps you could keep tabs on the IRS by creating an IRS Account.  See this.

Online Account is an online system that allows you to securely access your individual account information.  You may view: 

• The amount you owe, updated for the current calendar day
  • Your balance details by year
  • Your payment history and any scheduled or pending payments
  • Key information from your most recent tax return
  • Payment plan details, if you have one
  • Digital copies of select notices from the IRS
  • Your Economic Impact Payments (EIP 1 and EIP 2), if any.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi there,

So, he already filed his return, it was accepted and he received his refund.   We live in NH so no state tax.   His 1099-G was $3840, no taxes withheld.   

So should I just hold off?  It seems like he obviously won't be taxed, but I don't want his records to not be accurate and then he has an issue later on.

Thoughts?  Thank you for your help!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies