Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended return - error with TurboTax? appears 1099-R form not included in returns filed

I used TurboTax to file a 2021 amended return due to a small but inadvertent 401K  excess contribution (reported via 1099-R with code 'P' in box 7). However, when I downloaded the amended tax return documents, the 1099-R information I entered into TurboTax online is not included in the packet that I believe Turbo Tax sent to the IRS.  I did get confirmation that both Federal and State taxes have been 'accepted'. Is this an error with Turbo Tax online? All guidance I see points to the need to include any new forms with the IRS and state, when amended returns are filed and therefore should the 1099-R form not have been included by Turbo Tax? 

Anyone experienced something like this before for an amendment filed via Turbo Tax online?

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Amended return - error with TurboTax? appears 1099-R form not included in returns filed

Attachment of 1099-R for 1040-X only applies to paper and then only if federal withholding is shown.

If you e-File your 1040-X there is no attachment.

@RReuben 

I see you are amending 2021 which would have to be paper filed,

but if there is no tax withholding on the 1099-R you did not need to attach it.

TurboTax does not break out the new or changed attachment pages for 1040-X.

For that, you are on your own.

@RReuben 

dmertz
Level 15

With no tax withholding, the only thing you should have to send to the IRS from entering the code P 2022 Form 1099-R into 2021 TurboTax to amend your 2021 tax return is Form 1040-X with a change to your AGI by the amount in box 2a of the Form 1099-R and a corresponding change to your tax liability, resulting in a balance due.

Thanks @fanfare. TurboTax allowed me to e-file the 2021 federal and state amended returns, and also initiate the pending tax payments through direct bank debit as well. Did not know about the need for the 1099-R attachment only if tax was withheld. Since in my case it wasn't, I guess TurboTax did not include the 1099-R as an attachment then.

Thanks @dmertz that helps clarify why TurboTax did not include it.

As I tried to state above, when e-Filing there is no attachment of 1099 documents on original or amended returns.

@RReuben 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies