turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended 2020 return before due date, with tax lowered balance

Hello TurboTax community,

I e-filed my 1040 back in Feb owing IRS a tax payment, which I didn't pay at the time. I then received an amended K-1 in March; I e-filed a 1040X on Apr 13th.  According to the amended return, I owe less money to IRS. I sent a check to IRS with the smaller amount based on the amended return, along with the 1040-V payment voucher from the amended return. The check was cashed shortly after.

Today I received a CP14 note from IRS saying that I owe them money because my payment doesn't match the tax I owed. There is also a penalty and interest charged to me. In the CP14 note, the tax I owed  is the amount before my amended returned. 

I tried calling IRS but i can't get to a person to discuss this; Also this doesn't seem to fit the criteria of appealing according to what i read from irs.gov. What should I do to get out of this situation? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The amended tax due may be in ADDITION to the tax due on the original return.  So you still might need to pay the original first tax due.  Check your 1040X Amended return.

Go by the actual 1040X.  Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 22 should be your additional refund.  If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16.  If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.

If you have a tax due, do not send the 1040V.  Just include a check with the 1040X.  Ignore the 1040V.  That is for the original return or what the original return would have been if it didn’t need correcting.  Don’t pay the amount on the 1040V.  Pay the amount on the actual 1040X.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

this is what the IRS says to do if you disagree with the notice
Call the toll-free number on the top right corner of your notice. Have your paperwork ready when you call.

keep trying the number. in the meantime send back the notice with a letter of explanation.

thanks @Mike9241 .

What happened simply is the original return was processed and the missing payment is being requested which you know you will not owe once the amended return has processed.   Since you should have sent the original balance due before you amended the return please look at the 1040X to see if line 16 is correct since the program assumes you made the original payment in full so if you didn't make the correction you actually may owe more once the amended return has been fully processed. 

Look at the form 1040X …

Column A should have the figures from the original return, Column C the corrected figures and Column B the differences between the other 2 which needs an explanation on page 2 of the form 1040X.

If you completed it correctly you will see an entry on either line 16 OR 18:

On line 16 should be the amount you paid with your original return. 

On line 18 should be the amount of your original refund you received.

Then you will see your extra refund on line 22 OR  the new balance due you need to pay on line 20.

Thanks @Critter-3 .
I called IRS's toll free number; The automated system has confirmed that my 1040X has been processed though, so I am not sure whether it makes sense to send the "missing" payment now. 

The amended tax due may be in ADDITION to the tax due on the original return.  So you still might need to pay the original first tax due.  Check your 1040X Amended return.

Go by the actual 1040X.  Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 22 should be your additional refund.  If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16.  If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.

If you have a tax due, do not send the 1040V.  Just include a check with the 1040X.  Ignore the 1040V.  That is for the original return or what the original return would have been if it didn’t need correcting.  Don’t pay the amount on the 1040V.  Pay the amount on the actual 1040X.

Thanks @VolvoGirl . 

"If you have a tax due, do not send the 1040V.  Just include a check with the 1040X.  Ignore the 1040V.  That is for the original return or what the original return would have been if it didn’t need correcting.  Don’t pay the amount on the 1040V.  Pay the amount on the actual 1040X."
I think that's why I was confused, because of the amount show in 1040V. So at this point, I probably would need to pay the "missing" payment + the penalties and interests, and expect a refund to be sent back to me.  The biggest confusion was the fact that i amended the return BEFORE the due date, and it was processed. I thought it would override the original return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies