turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amend Return

So I accidentally claimed a 2021 stimulus payment on my 2020 taxes. What form will I need to use to amend my returns once they are accepted? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Amend Return

You do not need to amend the 2020 tax return if you entered the amount of the second stimulus received in 2021. 

The stimulus payments were an advance tax credit for tax year 2020.  So you were correct to enter the stimulus payment received in 2021 on the 2020 tax return.

Amend Return

You were SUPPOSED to enter the stimulus check received in January or February 2021 ---so you answered correctly.

Congress passed the 2nd stimulus bill at the end of 2020.   The 2nd stimulus checks started going out at the very end of December 2020 and continued into early January 2021.  When you fill out the recovery rebate credit it is important for you to enter the entire total of the amount you have received for yourself, your spouse, and your dependent children so far.   Entering the wrong amount might delay your 2020 refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Amend Return

My 2020 Fed Tax return was submitted by Turbo Tax and I assume accepted.  I included the 2020 2nd stimulus check for both of us, although I had not recieved my $600 check.  I found from IRS that my check was mailed to my previous address, and it was not forwarded.  The stated IRS remedy was to claim a $600 tax credit on my 2020 Federal Tax Return.  I want to amend my 2020 tax return.   I cannot seem to find my 2020 Federal Tax Return.  Turbo tax keeps going back to an older email I had used on Turbo Tax previous years.

Amend Return

@edgar-brannon wrote:

My 2020 Fed Tax return was submitted by Turbo Tax and I assume accepted.  I included the 2020 2nd stimulus check for both of us, although I had not recieved my $600 check.  I found from IRS that my check was mailed to my previous address, and it was not forwarded.  The stated IRS remedy was to claim a $600 tax credit on my 2020 Federal Tax Return.  I want to amend my 2020 tax return.   I cannot seem to find my 2020 Federal Tax Return.  Turbo tax keeps going back to an older email I had used on Turbo Tax previous years.

You have to sign onto your 2020 online account using the exact same User ID you used to create the online account.

Close all TurboTax windows on your web browser (including this one).  Copy and paste the account recovery website link onto a new web browser window and run the tool.

Use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of all the User ID's for an email address.  Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery

If none of the user ID's received will access your 2020 account, then use the option shown in blue on the account recovery website, "Try something else"

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

To access your prior year tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

After completing the File section and e-filing your tax return you will receive two emails from TurboTax. The first email when your tax return was transmitted and the second email when the tax return has either been accepted or rejected.

Once a tax return has been filed it cannot be changed, canceled or retrieved

You will have to wait for the IRS to start accepting or rejecting 2020 tax returns on February 12, 2021
If the return is rejected you can make the necessary changes and e-file again.
If the return is accepted you will have to amend your original tax return. An amended return, Form 1040X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS, it cannot be e-filed. The IRS will take up to 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on amending a tax return originally completed and filed using the 2020 TurboTax online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/01/27577

Amend Return

Thanks for the detailed information.   I will wait until the IRS starts accepting e submissions Feb 12.  If it is not excepted, then it looks like I can edit and re submit.

If it accepted, seems like I cannot amend the return except by mail using IRS form 1040X.

Do I have this right?

Amend Return

@edgar-brannon wrote:

Thanks for the detailed information.   I will wait until the IRS starts accepting e submissions Feb 12.  If it is not excepted, then it looks like I can edit and re submit.

If it accepted, seems like I cannot amend the return except by mail using IRS form 1040X.

Do I have this right?

You are correct.  As of this date we have no information on whether or not the IRS will be accepting an e-filed amended return for tax year 2020.

Amend Return

My on line submission was rejected because of a discrepancy of the personal PIN.  Before I do that, I want change my return to correctly claim credit for NOT receiving one of the stimulus checks.  How do I amend it?

Amend Return

One interesting piece of info.  I called Turbo on to chat, and he was very helpful.  However, when I changed my return to claim $600 tax credit.   I had not received my stimulus check (my wife did).  When I increased the amount of tax credit, it reduces my refund by the full $1200. 

I am trying to get my head around this,.  I went to IRS and refilled out 1040 to mail, I was the same reduction.   

I am confused.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies