Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

amend previous year's tax by adding foreign financial income

It depends.  A 8621 is filed if you are a shareholder of a Passive Foreign investment Company (PFIC): This would be filed if you:

1. Receives certain direct or indirect distributions from a PFIC.  This include distribution of dividends.
  2. Recognizes gain on a direct or indirect disposition of PFIC stock,
  3. Is reporting information with respect to a Qualified Electing Fund (QEF) or section 1296 mark-to-market election,
  4. Is making an election reportable in Part II of the form, or
  5. Is required to file an annual report pursuant to section 1298(f). See the Part I instructions, later, for more information regarding the person that must file pursuant to section 1298(f).
  6. There is no threshold regarding the $ amount of distributions thus any amount paid should be reported on a 8621.

Please, read this IRS article for further assistance.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
cathiexu
Returning Member

Hi @RalphH1 , one follow up question regarding 1040X.

In my original return, I didn’t attach schedule B as it doesn’t exceed threshold . By adding  this additional foreign interest, the total interest income still doesn’t exceed $1500. 

you mentioned to add “statement” instead of schedule B.  What do you mean by statement? I thought there is a section on 1040x to explain what was amended. Other than that, did you mean to put an extra normal A4 paper where I type something to explain what this interest income is ?

thanks!

RalphH1
Expert Alumni

There is the $1,500 threshold, but also the “interest in, or signature authority over, a financial account in a foreign country…” official filing requirement for Schedule B (here). My thinking was that this applied to your situation, so Schedule B was officially called for (with a statement added if more space was necessary, but not for redundant info that already fits on Schedule B and the 1040X). The other agent (Mary) recommended a statement, and that would work fine too, as long as you give the IRS the info (and the tax due, of course!).

@cathiexu, I admire your attention to detail, but I hope you’re not stressing-out about all of this. You’re obviously going to great lengths to fulfill your tax obligations, so I’m thinking the IRS likes you too!

cathiexu
Returning Member

Thanks @RalphH1 , I appreciate your patience answering my questions. It is been a stressed out week to understand and file amend for the first time as work visa holder in the U.S., I appreciate all your valuable input here and thanks for your understanding!

RalphH1
Expert Alumni

You're very welcome, @cathiexu! I've really enjoyed this project here. And I hope your stay in the U.S. (except for the many hours of tax preparation...) has gone well so far!

Feb 17, 2023 at 9:33 AM

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies