Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

GoJY
Level 2

Amend filing status through TurboTax Desktop e-file?

I am amending my 2020 filing status from "Single" to "Married Filing Jointly" (MFJ) and having a question. While using TurboTax desktop, upon reviewing my documents, I received the message "Form 1040-X: This return FS: Form 1040-X cannot be filed electronically if there is a change in filing status." Despite this, I am able to continue.

Screenshot 2023-10-23 at 8.40.21.png

At the last step of review session, it shows either I should print it out and mail the amend tax return or go to the "File" tab and proceed with e-file.

Screenshot 2023-10-23 at 8.39.02.png

If I click the "File" menu tab, which does offer the option of E-file. Does this mean I can proceed with the e-file?  Thanks!
Screenshot 2023-10-23 at 8.39.15.png

Screenshot 2023-10-23 at 8.50.13.png

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

E-filing will not work, no matter what the screens say. You have to print the amended return, sign it, and file it by mail. You and your spouse must both sign the Form 1040-X.

Attach copies of your spouse's W-2 forms and any of your spouse's 1099-R forms that have tax withheld.

Mail the amended return by certified mail with a return receipt, so that you get tracking and confirmation of delivery.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

E-filing will not work, no matter what the screens say. You have to print the amended return, sign it, and file it by mail. You and your spouse must both sign the Form 1040-X.

Attach copies of your spouse's W-2 forms and any of your spouse's 1099-R forms that have tax withheld.

Mail the amended return by certified mail with a return receipt, so that you get tracking and confirmation of delivery.

No matter what you are changing on your 2020 return, the 1040X for 2020 can only be filed by mail.

Only certain paid tax pros can still e-file past year amended returns. You cannot e-file an amended return that you prepared yourself using TurboTax.  Your 1040X must be printed, signed and dated in ink, and then you need to mail it in.  Use a mailing service like certified mail so you will know the IRS received it, since you will have a long wait for it to be processed.

You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies