turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amend 2020 Taxes Date using TurboTax

Hey.. fast question!

I'm from Brazil and i filled my tax using TurboTax. Since i have no knowledge with this, i forgot some W-2's and now i have to amend it. I found hard using the 1040-X and i hope that amending using TurboTax will be easier. The problem is that i can't amend yet using TurboTax, My question is: 1) When i'm gonna be able to amend using TurboTax? 2) The process of amending it using TurboTax is simple as it was to fill the taxes? Cause great part of the info they ask on the 1040-X form i have no idea how to fill.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

52 Replies

TurboTax will guide you through the amending process. You must wait until the 1040X is available before you can start it. It will be available later in February.

DO NOT change your original return until you start the amended return. If you already changed it, change it back to the way it was when you originally filed it. Wait until you get the refund from your original return before you start the amended return.

See these instructions for help: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Yes, Turbo Tax amend  process is very easy. You can NOT file an amended return until the finances are settled.

Here are links to help you:

Where's my refund - for original return

file an amended return - how to amend

track an amended return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
leomora8
Returning Member

While I agree amending a return is relatively easy, the numbers on the 1040X do not make sense.  The numbers in Column A "Original amount" did not match ANYTHING from the original return causing a lot of confusion.

That will happen if you change anything on the original return before you start the amended return. Was the original return exactly as you filed it before you started the amended return?

It's mid March 2021 now, but Form 1040X is still not available in TurboTax 2020.  When will it be available?  Please advise. 

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

The IRS hasn't yet released the 1040X for tax year 2020.  Until the IRS releases the form TurboTax cannot include it in their software.

For current information on forms availability please click on the applicable link below:

@victording

Actually, I just looked online at IRS and found the 1040-X.  It is now out.  Please update Turbo Tax with it.

@HawkPingree wrote:

Actually, I just looked online at IRS and found the 1040-X.  It is now out.  Please update Turbo Tax with it.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on amending a tax return originally completed and filed using the 2020 TurboTax editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-return/01/27439

The IRS Form 1040-X for amending a 2020 tax return is scheduled to be available on 03/25/2021 (subject to change)

gbalderas
Returning Member

I made a mistake and already changed what I had filed. Although I saved the PDF. Do you think I should still try to re-do my mistakes?

How will users that need to make an amendment be notified that the Amended Return Area is ready to go?  Is there somewhere to sign up for a notification?   I am using the desktop software version and do not see any way to get notified in the Amended Return Area (which takes many wasted clicks/minutes to get to this disappointing message, btw).

Thank you

My turbotax software says that the 1040-X is still not available? When is it going to be avialable? I filed early but now I don't have to report all the UI from my state and it will greatly increase my refund. When will those changes be updated in the software as well? Thank you. 

1040-X is available from the IRS and you can use that literally today if you want.

This is for TurboTax downloaded program for Win or Mac

First TurboTax said 3/18, subject to delays

Now TurboTax says 3/25, subject to delays

Given the delays with unemployment forgiveness programming, it's not looking good.

Ostensibly, you will have a software update when you launch TurboTax as the code base needs to be update to support the amendment process (currently you can elect to amend, but then you're stopped pending software update).

Note: If you filed and your returns were accepted then either file manually with printed 1040-X if you will amend to get a refund or bigger refund, but wait for TurboTax update if you're going to owe more, as you can do whatever you like until 5/17 this year for your federal income tax return.

If you changed anything and saved, you're going to have to undo those changes.  If you want to model your changes now, and you're using client version (win/mac) you can save your return as name-amended and use that to estimate your amendment pending the software update.

I hate how slow they're being. Now it's pushed back to the 26th of March. I need to amend my return already. 

I have to do the same thing. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies