Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

After the TurboTax delay, why was our Second Stimulus payment half what was expected?

If you also received half your expected payment, please comment below.

My family received our payment late, on January 8. However, it is half what my family of three expected -- $900.  It should have been $1800. 

According to my research, there are no offsets or other reductions to the second stimulus payments. 

I see others complaining they received half what their Second Stimulus payments should have been. So, TurboTax, where's the rest of our money?

To be clear, I received two emails from TurboTax on the matter, including this one, sent Jan. 8:

Dear Valued TurboTax Customer, Great news, your stimulus payment is on the way! We are happy to share that stimulus payments will begin to be deposited starting January 8th. We expect most payments to be available that day, but your bank could take a few business days to process. Your payment will be deposited into the same bank account that you received your 2019 tax refund. We have been working tirelessly with the Treasury and IRS to get your stimulus payment to you. We know how important these funds are for so many Americans and we regret that an IRS error caused a delay in you receiving your stimulus payment. For more information about stimulus payments, please go here. Thank you again for being a TurboTax customer. Respectfully, Greg Johnson Executive Vice President & General Manager Intuit, Inc. | TurboTax

It appears there may be ANOTHER glitch with these payments. Please investigate and respond, TurboTax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

After the TurboTax delay, why was our Second Stimulus payment half what was expected?

We GOT OUR MONEY IN THE MAIL. It came today, January 15, to our PO Box. 

It was on a debit card, an "Economic Impact Payment Card," or EIP. Activating it, I found it contained the rest of the payments due. Much relieved!

CHECK YOUR POSTAL MAIL CAREFULLY. 

My best guess is that I still have an offset on old student loans, so those funds were pulled, then sent through the EIP card for reasons. I hope everyone gets their payments!

More info here: https://www.eipcard.com/
Also here: https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

The IRS knew there would be problems from the beginning. Only the IRS knows why it deposits the amounts that it does. My job is to help fix the problems. I can. Since you did not receive your full stimulus, you can have it added to your refund.

After you have entered your tax information and are ready for the Federal Review, stimulus will be the first question.

If you are trying to trigger it: 

1. go to Other Situations
  2. click Done. 
  3. The next question will ask about payments received.

The program will determine the missing amount and add it to your refund.

I know it is incredibly frustrating.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I've also seen a lot of post like yours today - and they are the same: joint filer with children and only half the money received.  This is all controlled by the IRS - Turbo Tax has nothing to do with it.

The IRS will stop sending out payments on January 15

They will begin accepting tax returns on Jan. 27

really the best thing is to wait until at least the 27th so that any checks mailed out on the 15th clear the postal system

if you get the rest of the payments, great

if you don't, it'll be added to your refund on Line 30 of the tax return.

Be sure to fill out the stimulus payments received in the Federal Review Section of Turbo tax and then the Recovery Relief Credit will appear on Line 30, it will increase your refund (or reduce what you owe)

hopefully that helps out a bad situation

Ck1625

Payment cut in half

We GOT OUR MONEY IN THE MAIL. It came today, January 15, to our PO Box. 

It was on a debit card, an "Economic Impact Payment Card," or EIP. Activating it, I found it contained the rest of the payments due. Much relieved!

CHECK YOUR POSTAL MAIL CAREFULLY. 

My best guess is that I still have an offset on old student loans, so those funds were pulled, then sent through the EIP card for reasons. I hope everyone gets their payments!

More info here: https://www.eipcard.com/
Also here: https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies