Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

After 7 weeks: "Your tax return is still being processed" (e-file)

So I e-filed my 2020 Federal Tax return exactly 7 weeks ago and the status is STILL "Your tax return is still being processed", holding up a large refund.  I called two weeks ago and they told me they didn't know why it was held up, didn't know if interest would apply at 6 weeks, and told me to call back at 10 weeks (which is crazy).  There were two examples why it might be held up, but neither applied to my return (one was asking for a different stimulus amount).  They just said keep checking and look for anything in the mail.  Nothing in the mail after 7 weeks, getting a bit worried here.  I had set this up for a direct deposit, same as last year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

According to this IRS update as of May 7th:     

The IRS is now opening mail within normal timeframes. The IRS has also made significant progress in processing prior year returns. As of April 30, 2021, we had 1 million individual tax returns received prior to 2021 in the processing pipeline. Including current year returns, as of April 30, 2021, we had 17.1 million unprocessed individual returns in the pipeline. Unprocessed returns include those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.  

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We are processing returns received over the summer and fall in 2020 due to the extended July 15, 2020 tax filing due date. While the majority of 2019 refund returns have been processed, in some cases, we are processing tax returns that were mailed with a payment even though payment associated with these returns have been processed by the IRS. However, we are rerouting tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened in the order received. As the return is processed, it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues depends on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.  

What you should do: If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

23 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

You will need to wait until the IRS completes its process.  They will notify you if they make any changes.

Please see the links below for additional information if you were getting a refund, or how you can view the latest changes to your account with the IRS.

Why is my refund taking longer to process

View your tax account with the IRS

I too exiled in February, still processing, what's the next step I should take?

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@mommarad  wait patiently. If your return was not processing, that would be a concern. Processing mean the IRS has it and is working on it.

The IRS is having a hard time this year. Each return must be cross checked for the normal and now with the new laws:

• stimulus- is it correct, pay missing amounts, do they need to be added for the new stimulus
  • unemployment - is it on there, was it filed with the $10,200 subtraction, does it need to be adjusted
  • premium tax credit - is it on there, is there an amount due, adjust the return
  • EIC - is it on, were they banned, is there a record of release to claim?
  • Child credit -anybody else claim, how old are kids, what is allowed
  • and so on for still more, it is a long process this year to check each return for so many things.

The IRS is also processing returns mailed in last year and handling the current stimulus. They have scheduled this summer to adjust unemployment on returns.

The more items on your return, the more complicated the processing. Some people are getting their refund in two parts.

See Why do some refunds take longer than others? and Where's My Refund? Top 5 Reasons It's Been Delayed

Thanks for the details--that does help to explain what is happening.  I'm at 8 weeks now waiting while 'processing'.  I'll give it a few more weeks and then try to call them again.  Still worried it could drag out a while, when we need the refund money.

burgman2

The IRS is full of crap.  I e-filed on 3/10.  they say 21 days for efiling refund.  Most f my friends got their refund and they filed later.  My return is vanilla.  Got hold of the IRS today and they said it will take up to 10 weeks from filing....Man they suck.  they should give me interest on the refund.

Hi there @AmyC  thanks for your details! So at TEN weeks of waiting and no update with my e-file return, I called the IRS:

• It's been ten weeks since e-file
  • IRS: nothing you can do but wait an undetermined amount of time
  • IRS: eventually you will get a letter to start the process of corrected whatever is wrong
  • IRS: no idea if any interest is being applied to the refund at this time
  • IRS: no idea what is wrong with return
  • IRS: there is nothing you can do to escalate

This is completely unacceptable.  The IRS is holding the refund hostage and gives no way to fix the issue.  If I owed money, they wouldn't let me wait months to pay it.  Any options?  Thanks!

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

According to this IRS update as of May 7th:     

The IRS is now opening mail within normal timeframes. The IRS has also made significant progress in processing prior year returns. As of April 30, 2021, we had 1 million individual tax returns received prior to 2021 in the processing pipeline. Including current year returns, as of April 30, 2021, we had 17.1 million unprocessed individual returns in the pipeline. Unprocessed returns include those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.  

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We are processing returns received over the summer and fall in 2020 due to the extended July 15, 2020 tax filing due date. While the majority of 2019 refund returns have been processed, in some cases, we are processing tax returns that were mailed with a payment even though payment associated with these returns have been processed by the IRS. However, we are rerouting tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened in the order received. As the return is processed, it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues depends on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.  

What you should do: If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.  

Update--after 11 weeks, I did check status and finally got the 'bars' status showing the refund payment would pay on Friday.  The refund appears to include some interest.  So hang in there anyone else waiting!

Thanks for the update dudeman! Was your refund deposited? I’m sitting at 8 weeks and just trying to figure out how much longer!! 

Hi there @PatientlyWaiting41 -- everything happened for me on the 11th week of waiting for my refund.  On that Wednesday, the online tool showed the 'bars' with approved status with a Friday direct deposit date.  It then did appear that Friday in my bank account.  Whew, the waiting was hard on this one and calling them didn't produce any results.  Good luck and I hope yours comes through soon!

I am sitting at 12 weeks since being accepted by TT and it still says return being processed

I’m at 13 weeks and still being processed. 

Mfdonohoe

It is july 20 2021, my taxes were in on time. No refund yet. Do I get interest from01/2021 ? 

@Mfdonohoe wrote:

It is july 20 2021, my taxes were in on time. No refund yet. Do I get interest from01/2021 ? 

The IRS adds interest to refunds on timely-filed refund claims issued more than 45 days after the return due date.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies