turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Access2017 tax return

How much is it and how do I pay for TurboTax so I can access my 2017 tax return?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Access2017 tax return

Was your 2017 return prepared with Online TurboTax?  If so, log in to your account and look in the section "Your Tax Returns & Documents."   Choose tax year 2017, and look for a link to download/print the PDF.   Do you find evidence of your return there OK, but when you try to download, does it ask you to pay?    If it was prepared in Free Edition last year, access will be locked.   If that's your situation, we can tell you how to pay to unlock your 2017 return.   The method to unlock it depends on what all you have done with your 2018 return.   The minimum payment is 19.99 for a 2018 Free Edition return upgraded to PLUS.

If you find no evidence at all of your 2017 online return in that account, we can tell you how to look for multiple accounts.    A return prepared in desktop software (CD/download) will not be in an online account.

Please answer all of the following:

1. Have you already filed a 2018 return in Online TurboTax, or is one still in preparation?  Or did you file elsewhere?
  2. Was the 2018 return prepared in Free Edition?
  3. Is the 2018 return in the SAME account as the 2017 online return?

We can tell you how to unlock a return once you answer all the questions above.

There's also a free option if a return transcript will suit your purpose.   You may be able to immediately download one at the IRS website if you qualify to open an IRS account there.  Otherwise, to order a transcript to come by postal mail takes 5-10 calendar days.
http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

kaltheide
Returning Member

Access2017 tax return

I did pay and still can't access it

Access2017 tax return

@ kaltheide wrote:

I did pay and still can't access it

You didn't describe any of your situation.   Was access to the 2017 return locked, and it asked you to pay to unlock it?   What exactly did you pay for?  Did you pay for an online 2018 return upgraded to PLUS or higher?  The minimum purchase to unlock a prior return is 2018 Free Edition upgraded to PLUS at 19.99 in the same account.

If the 2018 and 2017 returns are in the SAME account, and if you paid for a 2018 return in PLUS or higher using a credit/debit card, then that should have unlocked all prior returns in that account.   For this unocking purpose you cannot use the option to pay later out of the Federal refund; you have to pay upfront.

Did your credit/debit card payment go through?  And are the 2018 and 2017 returns in the same account?  If so,  that should have unlocked all returns.    If that's what you did, but it's still asking you to pay when you try to download/print 2017, then try cleaning out your browser in the following way:

Log out of TurboTax.  Clear your browser Internet cache.   Close your browser and reopen it.   Then log back into TurboTax and see if the 2017 return is still locked.   If it is, we can tell you how to phone TurboTax Support to troubleshoot. 

Access2017 tax return

I answered yes to all of your questions, Where do i go to pay so I can access my 2017 tax returns to finish applying for my financial aid?

Access2017 tax return

@ wallyeva17 wrote:

I answered yes to all of your questions, Where do i go to pay so I can access my 2017 tax returns to finish applying for my financial aid?

This appears to be your first post under that screen name.    I'll assume that you have found the 2017 return, access is locked, and it asks you to pay.  And that you have already filed a 2018 Free Edition return, and that you need to know how to open it back up, upgrade to PLUS, and pay the 19.99.   This answer assumes the 2017 and 2018 return are in the same account.

NOTE:  When you open your 2018 return back up, do not make any changes in it if it's already been filed.

• Log in and at the Tax Home, scroll down and click on "Add a State." (you don't really add one.  That's just to open your return back up.)   If you don't see the "Add a State" link there, then go to "Your Tax Returns & Documents."  Click that line or on the word SHOW to expand that section.  Choose 2018 tax year.   Then click on "Add a State." 
  • Once the return is open, then go to the left menu column and click on Upgrade.
  • On the Upgrade screen choose PLUS.     CAUTION:  If PLUS is grayed out, that means you are already in PLUS.  Do NOT upgrade any farther than PLUS, or you'll have problems.
  • Once you are in PLUS, then you need to pay.
  • In the left menu column click on TAX TOOLS, then PRINT CENTER.
  • At the Print Center choose to "Print, save, view THIS  YEAR's return."   (Yes, you say "this year's" because you are paying for the 2018 return upgrade to unlock the 2017 return.)   You don't actually have to print the 2018 return.
  • It will then ask you to pay.  If the Order Summary appears OK (PLUS at 19.99), then choose PAY NOW.
  • You can pay by credit card or debit card (even though it only says "credit.")   If it should offer you the choice of paying later out of the Federal refund, that cannot be done for this purpose.  You have to choose PAY NOW.

NOTE:  Remember all PDF tax documents and tax data files are very sensitive files, since they contain your personal ID info, financial data, and possibly bank account numbers, etc.  Be sure to store them safely and securely to guard against computer theft, hacking, etc.

There's also a free option if a return transcript will suit your purpose.   You may be able to immediately download one at the IRS website if you qualify to open an IRS account there.  Otherwise, to order a transcript to come by postal mail takes 5-10 calendar days.
http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

Mike-4774
Returning Member

Access2017 tax return

I have a similar situation (I need to file my 18 return) however I just purchased the 2018 desktop software for $123.XX. Do I still have to upgrade to plus to get my 2017 return?

Access2017 tax return

@Mike-4774 wrote:

I have a similar situation (I need to file my 18 return) however I just purchased the 2018 desktop software for $123.XX. Do I still have to upgrade to plus to get my 2017 return?

Possibly, unless you can work something else out with TurboTax Support.  The normal way to unlock a 2017 online return is to purchase a 2019 product (either 2019 software or 2019 online Free Edition return upgraded to PLUS for 19.99).    The upgrade to 2019 PLUS cannot be done until 2019 online TurboTax opens tomorrow December 4 (anticipated).

You could speak to TurboTax Support and ask them if they would unlock your 2017 return for you based on your 2018 purchase, but they might not. 

Support hours are 5am to 5pm Pacific time, Monday thru Friday (8AM-8PM Eastern).

You can use this form to contact TurboTax support during business hours - 

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Also see the additional info in your other thread at:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/filing-taxes-late-and-need-past-return/01/960380

Access2017 tax return

Turbo tax and Intuit are the worst. Terrible support

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies