Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

SamS1
Expert Alumni

We cannot provide any information about your refund. You must wait at least 24 hours after you get the acknowledgement e-mail that your tax return was received by the IRS

Could be number of reasons for refund delays, especially this year. Generally it is due to dependent verification, refund offset, or information mismatch. You can get a free transcript of your return to review of any holds or codes. Click here to get your free online transcript.

Did you have unemployment benefits. So to not have to process thousands of amended returns, if you had unemployment benefits the IRS could be holding your return for processing once their systems are updated for the American Rescue Plan Act that excludes the first $10,200 of unemployment benefits if your adjusted gross income is less than $150,000.   

If you have earned income credit and/or additional child tax credit, it is probably delayed. Returns with either of these credits are covered under the PATH act, which gives the IRS authority to delay the refund to verify dependent information on your return. For 2020, the IRS was not issuing refunds for these returns until the 1st week of March. 

Do you have any refund offsets such as back taxes, student loans, child support, state obligations (Court costs), etc. This could delay your refund and you will receive a letter indicating the change.

If you answered the stimulus questions incorrectly, this will delay your refund. If you claimed the Recovery Rebate credit on your return, the IRS is matching stimulus payments to returns with the Recovery Rebate credit. If there is a mismatch, you will be receiving a letter.

Keep checking IRS.gov "Where's my Refund" for the most up to date information.

Check here also for more information on refund delays.

We cannot provide any information about your refund. You must wait at least 24 hours after you get the acknowledgement e-mail that your tax return was received by the IRS

No kids, so no child tax credits or child support. No earned income credits. No court fees or other expenses or state obligations we can identify.  There are student loans, but which are all Federal. I think they're current. But, if I'm wrong on that, I know Biden signed an Executive Order in January that was supposed to suspend seizure of tax refunds and stimulus payments by the Dept. of Education and any of its contractors until September 2021. I don't think the Order applies to private lenders/loans. But does apply to Federal loans. So I'm not sure yet why the delay might exist for giving the owed refund.

But at least if the return really is in the IRS' hands I have a place from which I can track it down and at least maybe at least eventually get it processed and the refund paid.

Thank you too for the idea regarding tax transcripts. That may be extremely helpful!

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@collinstax3   Let's go through the steps people get wrong:

• You entered the primary SSN, the first name listed on the return
  • You entered the actual tax refund listed on the forms, not what you are getting
  • You entered the correct filing status

Please verify the above. If this does not show your information then we should move to the next step. You said your state return is filed and processing. Most states will process only after the federal has processed. There are a few that will process regardless of the federal.

If you have correctly done all of the above, you may want to get your DCN, tracking number for your federal return. You can get it from TurboTax and then give it to the IRS for tracking.

You can fill this form out for someone to call you and ask them for the DCN. You will have to prove your identity as this is private information.

Contact the IRS at 800-829-1040, give them the DCN to locate your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mraflores
Returning Member

My state tax always said being processed and now it's saying we cannot provide any info what does that mean 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

You will need to call your State Department of Revenue to inquire.

Bolse12
Returning Member

i have found noting at all of my refund

Bolse12
Returning Member

BIuATIA

I am having the same issue for my deceased father's tax return. I had to file on paper as I needed to prove that I can claim it or fill out the form 1310. I included the original certificate of administration that allows me to claim his refund. The refund is the rebate credit btw.

According to USPS, they received it on March 10. I don't know if "where is my refund" cannot provide information because I enter deceased's SSN or because they lost the tax return including my original letter of administration from the surrogate court.

I see, thanks. Very frustrating as I am supposed to close the estate and report everything to the surrogate court by June 10th. Oh well, I am sure I can extend, not that there is much to report anyway.

B.S.!!!!!  (to the IRS, that is.)  Mine is about a week short of THREE months since it was filed (it was accepted about a day later.  This message (We cannot provide any information about your refund. Be sure to:

• verify your filing date;
  • check with your tax preparer or tax software provider; or
  • verify you received your electronically filed acknowledgement e-mail) is new since I checked last week.  It's claiming I didn't provide correct information.  AGAIN......BULLSH*T!!!
dbkali

I am experiencing the same issue and the frustrating part is... You can't even get a live person to talk to when you call the IRS. Were you able to get your issue resolved?

what does this mean with my federal tax

I filed my taxes on January 27 2022 on January 28 it saids i was accepted on fed and state taxes. Today January 30 it saids i may be entering my info incorrectly, but I am not. My orange bar on wmr has disappeared. Can anyone explain to me what is going on? I E-Filed 

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@Overcomer1974

Sometimes this happens when your return is still pending or a few other reasons.  Please see the Help Article here for further assistance.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies